Cap 1 - Late fee

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CR, Dec 3, 2000.

1. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I paid my Cap 1 bill online on the date it was due (Friday 12/1). In the past when I have done this the payment posts that day or the next day. Today I go online and find that my payment has yet to post and that I have been charged a late fee. (They have already annoyed me to the point of closing, since they are being stubborn on the limit increase. My plan is to close them in 6 months. At that time they will be 2 years old on my CR.)

Anyone have any luck getting them to remove a late fee?

Thanks,
    CR

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Did you pay online? You might be able to blame in on their internet site (which they are already very touchy about)..

raise a lot of hell, and call up retention, you'd be suprised what they'll waive to keep your service.

On the other hand, i make 2 payments a month, in order to eliminate any chances of late fee. Easy to do with all the online services, i don't think i would pay more than once a month if i had to write a check.

back to removing the fee. They removed an NSF fee for me once, because i entered the ABA/ACCOUNT # wrong on their website and the payment was returned. I bitched and screamed and told them their web site sucks, et all. Payment removed.

I called them back the next day and asked for a line increase and got $200. :)

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Try not to wait until the day your payment is due even if you pay on their website. It takes up the 3 business days to post a payment. They do state this on the payment screen. However, I had the same problem when I was new to paying online. I had never been late on a payment in the past, but received a late charge when I made my payment online. It posted after the due date. The representative removed the fee for me with no problem. I now make my payments online well before the due date. I usually pay at least twice a month on all my accounts so even if I get close to the due date, it is likely I have paid at least once in that billing cycle. Good luck!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CHECK YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT STATEMENT...
    I have had payments charged to my checking account before credit was given on the credit card bill!!!

LATE FEES AND OVER LIMIT FEES ARE PURE PROFIT!!!

5. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Miles,

Thanks for the reminder. I was originally going to mail it, but then I remembered how it easy it was to do it over the internet and decided to do it that way again. I worked really late the two days prior to the due date. Each night I would get home and make an attempt but couldn't follow through (I think it was a server problem).

I like your idea (and I think Sam stated the same) of paying twice a month. I'll be doing that from now on! Thanks again.

CR

6. zip

zip Well-Known Member

they tried to tell me that it took 7 days for my payment to arrive when in the past it had always been 3. i raised hell with them and they waived the fee. this is my hubbys card and he had called for a limit increase and they told him no do to that late fee.The supervisor we spoke to who waived the fee also gave him the increase.

7. J

J Guest

I hate Capital One!! My boyfriend has their card and he always pays more than the amount due each month, therefore when he gets his bill there is no payment due at that time. (It says payment due: $0.00). Well of course he still wants to make a payment..But GUESS WHAT?? Eventhough there is no payment due, if he is 1-2 days late with the "payment that is not due" he is charged a LATE FEE.

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Odd.

What bewilders me, is, why people don't use the online payment option, and pay at least a few %'s above the minimum payment every month. Make 2 payments, the first, well in advance of the due date. There's no penalty for paying early, there is a bonus of less interest.

We're not talking about big bucks, considering if you take the min payment of $20/month?

Make at least two payments of 20/month. You'll save a ton on interest, never have a late payment etc?

I always take any extra $$ i might have in my checking account, and apply it to my cards, thinking, that if its not easily accessable as cash, i will think more about spending it..

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IT IS A SYSTEM PROBLEM...DON'T PAY THE LATE FEE, TELL THEM IT WAS THEIR MISTAKE!!!

TRY HAVING A CREDIT BALANCE OF <$9,879.93> DUE TO A BALANCE TRANSFER. THE STATEMENT CLOSED BEFORE I COULD TRANSFER THE MONEY ELSEWARE, SO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT...I HAD A MINIMUM PAYMENT DUE OF $3,879.93...THE AMOUT THE COMPUTER THOUGHT I WAS OVER THE $6,000.00 CREDIT LINE!!! GO FIGURE!!!

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Wow.

Anyways, capitalone has ALWAYS been fair and honest to me.

Any mistakes they made, are taken care of, and documented as their error.

Any mistakes i've made, they've taken care of.

Stupid mistakes, like not making the min payment with reasonable time to clear, well, thats not the companies fault. They make a ton of cash off those peoples. Its easily avoidable.

George , did they call you at home? Your account is $$$$$$ overdue. hehe. that would have been funny.