Cap 1 - The Battle continues

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MikeG, Mar 1, 2001.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Well the war continues on with capital one. I have won some battles, lower APR, but they are winning the limit battle. I called the retention office yesterday and was told they could not up my limit. MY last increase was in October. I combined 2 cards. The first person I talked to in retention told they consider the combination a line increase so my clock has restarted.

I told him that I asked that question before I combined and was told know. Eventually I asked to speak to a supervisor. This guy was nice. However, he told me that no one in his department is allowed to give time frame for increases. When I told him that I always call his number (18008899939). He said perhaps I didnt get his department. He said there is no 6 month clock. Then he twisted it. He said my 6 month clock is actually April 9th since my last increase was on October 9th.

Well, I told him that I am very frustrated with Cap 1. They tell you what you want to hear this week; however, when you try to cash in next week, you get declined. The war continues. I am do to win the next battle (I hope).

Just wanted to share.

Mike G.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Cap 1 - The Battle continu

It looks like its better to keep two cards rather than one, for purpose of growing credit lines, because you've basically lost 1 credit increase by combining, which if you had two products, would have gotten two increases by now.

hmmmm.. that sucks.

3. Larry

Larry Guest

Re: Cap 1 - unbelievable

I attempted to plead my case once more with Cap1's retention dept about unsecuring my $350 visa to no avail. The rep played back my last conversation where I agreed to call back the 13th of this month.

Now that sucks! I couldn't say as Shaggy, "It wasn't me" !!!

4. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Cap 1 - unbelievable

ROTFLOL!

You got busted. Dang, I didn't even know they'd do that. One
    company told me it's illegal for them to playback conversations
    to the customer.

How funny...

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Re: Cap 1 Battle

About Capital One:

They are willing to give you small increases on two cards, just to keep you happy so you continue to pay two annual fees. They make all their money from annual fees.

Why can't they make a normal profit from extending credit like other banks? Because they waste all their money on computerized junk mail and computerized control of their employees. They are the ultimate control freaks, and it's hurting their business.

6. Texas

Texas Guest

Re: Cap 1 Battle

Try Citibank.

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Re: Citibank

Thanks for the advice. I have two Citibank cards already, and Citibank is great...worlds removed from the cramped, narrow, and pathologically suspicious attitudes you find at Capital One.