Cap One and fraudulant telemar

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rick, Feb 7, 2001.

1. rick

rick Well-Known Member

I tried to use my Cap One card yesterday and couldn't. I called Cap One to find out why, and I am over my limit. There was no way I could be over...so I asked them what put me over. It seems that a telemarketer that I cussed out on a Sunday got even with me. I was charged for a three year subscription to Field and Stream Mag. So, Cap One just tells me to call Field and Stream and cancel and get a credit.
    This is all well and good except it doesn't get my $25 over the limit fee back. Also, how the heck did a telemarketer get my credit card #.

Is there anything I can do about this?????

Thanks for any help......Rick

2. John Shimm

John Shimm Guest

RE: Cap One and fraudulant tel

The telemarketer got your card number from Cap One! Cap One hired the telemarketer to call you and sell you their magazine subscriptions. I can not believe that Cap One is just telling you to contact Field and Stream magazine! If I were you, I would wait to get my monthly statement, and then file a dispute with Cap One regarding the charge on your card (it's the law) - they have to investigate it!

3. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me when I first got my $300 Cap 1 card. What put me over the limit was one of their telemarketers selling some type of Homestyle package, or some such nonsense!

I called them, and said that I never ordered this and they took off my over the limit fee without question. Although I did have to call the company that offered the Homestyle package and cancel - it took about 2 months for it to show as an adjustment on the Cap 1 statement.

Ask for a supervisor! They will get you what you want.

chet

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Same thing here - but it was for Auto Advantage. I called and cancelled BEFORE the time, but they didn't cancel me and the charge put me over the limit. I was FURIOUS! I called them and cursed them out but I never did anything about Cap One. Probably should have. That was in November.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: dispute the charge.

They know when they do this to you.

#1. contact Dispute.
    #2. Contact merchant resolution department.

bleh bleh.

Remember to NEVER EVER even give a HINT of interest in their programs.. or this will be the result.

"NO THANKS, HAVE A NICE DAY" to them.

works every time for me :)

6. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Also!

Make sure you tell Cap 1 to take you off of their promotions list. This will eliminate the problem of ever being contacted for bogus offers in the future!

chet

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Under the law, you have no obligation to deal with the magazine. As John suggested, just dispute the charge with Cap1 claiming it is fraudulent. You don't have to wait for the statement.

They have to credit the amount immediately and refund the Over The Limit Fee. Don't take no for an answer, and make sure they know you're prepared to file a complaint with FTC. Then ask to be removed from all marketing lists.

Most telemarketing agencies keep records with the name of the soliciting agent. If I were you, I'd report it to the police. Unauthorized use of credit card is a serious crime.

Saar

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I AGREE...they must give you credit for the charge and the over-limit fee today.

CALL NOW!!!

9. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

RE: Also!

I hate every time you speak with a customer service rep, they give you a sales pitch at the end of the conversation.

-Alwilda Smith

10. NO NAME  S

NO NAME S Guest

Rick,

I work for a telemarketing company that sells this Product. Here is what you do..Call the 1-800 to field and stram and cancell the order. They will refund the membership fee, (TELL CAP ONE THAT YU WANT THE OVER LIMIT FEE REVERSED)Just so you know if you did order the product the telemarketing company will have a Digital Recording of the confirmation of the order (IF THIS CONVERSATION IS OR WAS NOT PRESENT WHEN YOUR ORDER WAS PROCEESED BY THE QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPT THE SALE NEVER EVER SHOULD HAVE GONE THRU) I would demand to hear the conversation of yu ordering. I can Tell you That the company I work for DOES NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN and that if the REP put the sale thru with out your approval and it was not canceled by QUALITY!!!! they will be delt with..

I hope this HELPS