Cap One - is there a card limi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Cap One sure gets a lot of press around here and, for that, I think each card-holder should get an increased limit and a lowered interest rate. Seriously, here's my question.

Does anyone have more than two cards from Cap One? Presently, I have a Visa classic and a Visa gold. The classic has a $1500 credit limit and the gold is at $3000.

Today, in the mail, I received a pre-approved offer for a gold Mastercard with a credit limit up to $3000. There's a low introductory rate for the first six months, then the interest rate goes up to 19%, and there is an annual fee for the first year.

So what do you all think? Should I let it go? And, if I did apply, since I already have two Cap One cards, would I even stand a chance of being approved?

Maybe I'll wait to see if Chase is going to come through. I still haven't heard from them and probably won't for a couple more weeks.

Thanks. I'll appreciate hearing any thoughts or comments.

Donna

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: Cap One - is there a card

Hi Donna, me again!! My husband has 3 Cap 1 cards. Sec. Mastercard he started out with over 2 years ago, and 2 gold. He applied on-line in November and got $200 limit, an offer came in the mail a few days later for $2K limit, the one with the little gold sticker and reference number. Applied on line again, was approved for $2000. Both cards came in the mail the same day. (both Visa's). I applied for a classic in Dec. and got 1K limit. Got that offer for $3000 and applied on-line, I was denied because I had received another "product" in the last 45 days. Letter said, they did not pull a credit report, and please try again in a few months. I wish I'd known my credit was as good a it is, I'd have gone straight for the gold. Who knew...?

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks much, Jamie, for the info.

Cap One is pretty generous with their cards! I was thinking they would probably just allow two per customer. Hmmmm.....You're tempting me. :) If only Cap one would issue fewer cards and grant higher interest rates instead.

Well, this application will keep. I'm thinking I'll wait a couple weeks and see if Chase comes through.

Donna

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Ooops....What in heaven's name was I typing! Grant higher interest rates???? What I meant to say was grant higher credit limits.

Looks like I'd better start paying closer attention to my posts! This is what I get when I'm typing at work and I'm trying to tend to several things at once.

Donna

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

You're alright Donna, I knew what you meant. I get like that too chasing after grandkids all day, at the end of the day I can't even get their names straight. Its those "B" names b..b..b...b..b

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks. Things can get pretty crazy sometimes. hehehe There are days when it takes me a minute to think of my own name.

Kids....ya gotta love em...but they can definitely drive you crazy! Especially toddlers. Maybe I could borrow one or two. Chasing after them would probably help me lose a couple pounds.

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Not, It hasn't helped me a bit. Can't wait to get outdoors and move around more. Let me know where to send them. LOL Let me know how you make out with the card.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Your grand kids would probably enjoy themselves at our place. It's small but we have two dogs, two cats and two computers.

About the third Cap One card...I think I'll keep the application on hold until the response from Chase comes in. I should only have to wait a couple more weeks and then I can decide what to do. Cap One is okay but I'm not sure I want three of their cards.

Donna

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

I swear my 4 yr old grandson is going to be a hacker by the time hes 10. He taught his parents how to use their new computer! Kids...

It does get pretty confusing with 4 Cap 1 bills coming every month. I keep it straight with my MS Money. I'm right to the penny every month with what I owe who, and when. Excellent Program!!!!

10. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I Love MS Money. I just wish I could d/l all my cc statements. And what's up with Providian only allowing you to register one card online. That sucks!

Kelly

11. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

WOW! What a bright kid! I'm sure he has a wonderful future ahead.

Oh boy! Keeping those bills straight! I keep a list of the bills we have and when they're due. Some of our payments are even automated. Most of the ones that aren't, I pay by phone. That makes the bill-paying process pretty easy for me. Our bank, Wells Fargo, does have online service but, regrettably, it's not very accessible with my screen-reading software.

12. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

The only one I have that doesn't have on-line account manager is Bank of America. I hope they get with it soon. It is so easy to keep track of stuff on-line. I use my MS Money for all our financial stuff. Payment reminder is fantastic, just click them off and fill in the check numbers. Thats how I keep ahead of all our bills, otherwise I'd go nutz!!!!

13. will

will Active Member

Donna,

I have done a signicant amount of research on F.I.C.O scoring and I have found that having more than two credit cards, and having a balance that is higher than fourty percent of the limit will hurt your score. Anyway, thought I would offer this info.

Will

14. mt

mt Guest

I have a cap one secured, two cap one gold cards, and a cap one k-mart (this card is not that great) mastercard. The limits are relatively low. The only cap one card that does not have online access is the k-mart mastercard, though the rep. said that would be coming.

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, mt.

So you have four Cap One cards, two of them gold. Is the credit limit similar on both of your golds?

Applying for the card is tempting, especially if I thought I could get a decent limit. I don't need the credit but having it gives me a sense of security. For so long it was practically impossible to get anything reasonable in the credit world and now I'm enjoying the privilege. Eventually, of course, my plan is to get rid of the lesser cards and keep the better ones.

Thanks.

Donna

16. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I do not think more than 2 cards lowers your scores, according to Fair Issac having more than FIVE cards seems to lower it according to their site, but that has been debatable here. But I do agree that your debt/ratio has alot to do with scores

17. mt

mt Guest

Hi Donna.

One gold card is $700, the other is $200 (the new one). K-mart MC is $200 and the secured card is $300. The gold card with the $700 limit is a rehabilitated account (they sold to a collection agency, I think, purchased it back and offered me a card to pay off the debt, I accepted).

18. mt

mt Guest

Oh, by the way, the gold card that I applied for online was an instant approval.

19. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Higher Interest Rates

Don't you mean higher credit limits rather than higher interest rates? If you really want a higher interest rate, you could call retention and let us know what happens. :)