Cap One Limit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Has anyone here on the board managed to get a credit limit on a Cap One card to $5,000 or more? If so what are the details?

I started at $1,000 and have been increased to $3,300. I would like to get to the $5,000 level but as stingy as Cap One is, I suspect that this is going to be very difficult without obtaining a 2nd Cap One account.

Thank you.

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Lizard

Your advice is sound.

However, I am after that 9.9% fixed rate that comes with a $5K Cap One platinum card.

I am not eligible for Chase for other reasons.

3. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

I've had a Capital One for years. The limit is $5,200. I've called and called to try to get the interest rate changed. No luck. It's 15.9% and always has been. My balance has always been less then $500. I have excellent credit. No late payments and bankruptcy. I tried to close the account last week but decided to reopen it. The $18.00 fee was waived. I'm going to transfer my mom's high Household Finance with 26.9% on a cash advance, to this card. 15.9% is better then 26.9% anyday.

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

To: Nelsonfan

TWO TOPICS HERE

1. What credit limit did you start with and how did the limit increases come about?

2. I have a 13.9% gold card 26 months after discharge of a Chap 7 BK and after 29 months after getting the card. Do a search on "Planet Feedback" to read my and others stories. Your apr. is too high for your credit history.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Nelsonfan,

Call Cap 1 Consumer Advocate Dept. (800) 955-1455, ask for Mr. Miller, who seems to be very popular here. If there's anyway in the world you can convert to the Platinum 9.9% (and I believe there is), he'll let you know in a second. No games, just a straight answer.

Do it - it would be a huge contribution to credit science :)

Saar

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

My 2 cents - Nelsonfan

I would write a letter via Planet Feedback rather than calling the consumer advocate. Let the C.A. respond to your well constructed letter. BTW, thru another source I found out the C.A. is becoming hard to reach. No wonder.

7. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

Re: My 2 cents - Nelsonfan

Thank you all for your advice. I will be using it. I don't know what my limit started out at but, I do know, I NEVER asked for an increase. I have never asked for one on any card. I have asked and asked for my interest rate to be lowered, but they won't budge. At least it hasn't went up 6.5 points like First USA did. (on my 9.9% FIXED) I'm going to go back and find out what my limit started at.