Cap One secured

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Nov 13, 2000.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I just received an offer for a Cap 1 secured card ($200 limit), but I don't know if it's worth it. They're asking for $199 deposit (or whatever i can send in til it reaches $199) then I'll receive my card.

I just sent in my $49 processing fee for the Providian Gold, but the APR for the Cap 1 is 19.8% as opposed to Providian's 23.99%.

Is Cap 1 any good or should I just stick with Providian and establish my credit?

I don't want to jump into something that might become a mess later.

BTW, once I receive my Providian Gold and start charging, can I pay it right away? I mean - way before I receive my bill? It sounds kinda stupid, but since I've never had a credit card, I want to make sure.

Thanks!

2. rolo

rolo Well-Known Member

you can pay providian online.

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Providian online

But I don't have a checking account due to an nsf on my Chexsystems report... I was thinking money order?? I know you can probably review your account online so I can send in the correct amount that's due...

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Providian online

You can probably get a checking account at some of the online banks. There's a few banks who are willing to let chex people go. search through the message system on chex.
    I tell you being able to pay online and pay more than 1nce a month makes managing your credit a lot easier! Any extra cash i have i pay towards my credit lines, to keep them as close to zero as possible.

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Online banks

I'm a little hesitant on having an account at a bank that I can't physically walk in to. Are they pretty safe? I applied online at Wells Fargo for a checking, but they can't open one for me until they receive the minimum $100 deposit... do you think that once they receive the deposit, they might turn around and refuse me because of the nsf?
    Also, if they accept me online at WFB, shouldn't I be able to walk in and get approved? The reason why I have not walked in to WFB to apply is because it's embarrassing to be turned down (especially when it's just a checking account that I want to open).

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Online banks

Why don't you just call up the local branch and talk to the lady? explain the situation, and straight up ask if they think they can accomodate your needs.

btw, your right it sucks to be declined in person.

Again: read the threads on chexsystems bank, some banks rely only on your credit to approve you and some (maybe locally) will give you a chance.

Three places that let me have accounts so far:
    PCBANKER.COM
    wingspanbank.com
    X.com (BLEH!! DIE DIE)

and usabancshares.com is waiting.

I trusted my direct deposit for x.com and they screwed me over twice. But i still need a checking account, ad well you don't pay rent where i live using cash or money orders, it would look bad.

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

RE: Providian online

Before Providian provided online banking, I would send them payments via mail 2-3 times monthly. My payments posted promptly without a problem. Make sure to mail your payments to the same address on your payment stub & to write your account # on your money order. You shouldn't have any problems.