Cap One update

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Sep 6, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

I talked to Mr. Cooke this morning who is investigating the AU issue....he told me I was indeed ineligible right now for accounts with Cap1 because of the old account, even though I paid it.

I got two rejection letters today from Cap One for the past applications:

1) KMart MC

previously opened an account with CapOne
    past handling of CapOne account

2) Classic

previously opened an account with CapOne

He told me if we can straighten this it is likely I could get one or both cards. However, I am hoping that my father will not be arrested. Apparently they view this as fraud. My father didn't know what he was doing and simply added my name. I am really nervous.

Steph

2. author_22

Oh, despite the gravity of the conversation, he was very friendly and we talked about some non-card issues. So I'm not trying to diss him, he seems great!

Steph

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

That is interesting that they view your dad's actions a fraud. It's not like he used someone else's name...he used his own and decided not to pay for whatever reason.

Just in case I missed something, how much was the chargeoff?

4. author_22

Originally it was right up to the $245 limit. (this is all gathered from my parents' responses) He did not pay one month, and they added overthelimit and late fees and such. This went on for six more months, and they started calling me. By the time I was called, about $1000 was owed. However, my lawyer got them to agree to take the original owed amount, which was the $245 plus like $80 for the first month's fees. They weren't supposed to report it as a charge off but did, and said $625 got written off (late/overlimit fees)

Mr. Cooke said adding me to an account with my permission is fraud and that that department might have to get involved. I'm so scared, not for me, but for my father! Getting an R9 deleted and 1-2 new cards with low limits is not worth having my father arrested! My college, my mother, my brother will suffer if he goes to jail and can't work :'(

Steph

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think jail would be likely unless he already has a record.

AU's are not financially responsible for the debt anyway. They can pay on it, but don't have to. What they're saying doesn't make sense.

Are you sure it was AU? not perhaps joint?

6. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I went through something like this with AMEX and Citibank. My monther had accounts with me on there. I may have signed the apps may not but I played dumb. Amex was quite cool about it and after asking for verification in the form of the original application they deleted it. Citbank harassed me back then really bad. Last year I sent them a letter asking for removal or verification and they deleted the CR entries and returned a nice letter.

7. Cadillac408

HOLD UP! That is ludicrous! All that over $245? I was expecting at LEAST one -0- after that amount. I can't believe Cap1 is making such a big deal over it. You paid the debt and that's that. Why are they still trippin?

I can bet you that they are not going to prosecute your dad so don't worry. I can't believe they have you all worried over NOTHING! $245 is PENNIES compared to the fraud that others have pulled.

If Cap1 had any heart at all, they would allow you to carry their card and remove any negative reporting info from your credit report. Don't feel bad, I was in the same boat. Baby's daddy added me to his MC and I cut the card and never used it. Next thing I know it's reporting on MY report as a $700 chargeoff! I was furious. I called Household and they tried to give me some dog and pony show about how being an AU on a charged off account doesn't hurt you, etc. But yet they REFUSED to delete it. Junum got it off somehow so that was cool.

8. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Steph, you can hang your hat on these words:

Your dad's not going to jail. Parents add their children as authorized users all the time sans permission. Spouses add spouses all the time without asking permission. In fact, authorized users aren't required to sign anything; the primary card holder can just add the user upon request.

Mr. Cooke apparently wants you to take this seriously, but he's clearly not a lawyer. If he really does refer this to their legal department, they'll toss it back to him pretty quickly.

Bottom line: Even though you probably won't relax (if you're like me, that is, LOL), you really should. Don't sweat this for one minute. Mr. Cooke will end up helping you get the cards. Your dad won't even be contacted. That will be the end of the story.

Randy

9. Cadillac408

Another Question

I'm just trying to get an understanding....

Why did your dad add you to begin with? I just don't get it. Did he ever give you the card? If he didn't give you the card, what was the whole purpose of adding you? Like Breeze said, are you sure you weren't *joint* and not *AU*???? Let's say he added you on a joint, why would he do that????? What was that going to accomplish? Was he trying to help you establish credit? If so, then why would he ruin your credit by blowing the card up and not paying it? I just don't get it.......why would he blow the credit card off KNOWING that you were on the account, thus potentially messing your credit up????? It makes no sense....

10. author_22

It was AU, and my father has no criminal record at all.

I'm thinking of asking pbm to delete this thread, as I understand we are being watched....

Steph

11. author_22

Re: Another Question

I never saw the card.

He added me because he felt like it...that's what it is.

He had no clue AUs suffer too. If he had, he would've paid it or never added me.

I can't explain his actions, but I am really worried for him.

Steph

12. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

Randy is right..

An AU is simply someone that you authorize to use your card, they are in no way legally responsible for the account.

I recently called an old creditor and asked them to remove the AU (a friend) from my old account which was included in a bankruptcy. I also asked that they correct the other persons credit history.

They complied (sent written verification) and corrected the other persons history.

I would not ask pbm to delete this thread, I am sure others will benefit from your insight.

It will all work out soon.

13. Cadillac408

OOOKKKK......so when he got the cards, he just tossed yours? What was the point of adding you on them? Was he trying to help you establish credit?

It is what it is, huh? Dang.....maybe I'll add George Bush on as AU on my Citibank AAdvantage card. I'm sure he can rack me up some nice frequent flyer miles! :)

Well, you suffered! You think he'll reimburse you for the money that YOU paid???

Please don't think I'm trying to put you down in any way. I'm just trying to understand the situation. It just makes no sense to me. Nevermind......maybe I'm doing too much......

Worried? I would be HOT, not worried. You've gone through a lot of trouble regarding this and it seems as though he's done nothing to help. I know that's your dad and all but gee whiz...

14. author_22

I did get every dime of the money back I paid. I am worried because if he goes to the big house, my mother will lose her home, everything. My brother will have to drop out of college because he's paying for it. I'll be OK except for the family anger...I just want my cards, a clean record, and parents not behind bars.

Steph

15. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Steph,are you pulling everyone's leg or what?LOL"S. AU"S are not responsible for anything.

16. Cadillac408

Relax Steph.....you dad WILL NOT GO TO JAIL! I'll bet my Platinum Am/Ex card on it!

<Note to self: Get an Am/Ex Platinum card QUICK!>

LOL.....just kidding! But all jokes aside, I don't know why they even implied that. Cap1 doesn't have a leg to stand on.

17. author_22

No, I'm dead on serious.

18. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Steph,
    You're talking crazy. He is NOT going to jail. People on here have debts 20 times as large as that, and don't even have judgements against them, let alone jail.. Don't worry a bit about it..

jmart

19. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Steph.....

I was talking to the lady that cuts my hair yesterday and she was telling me something her sister had recently done. This might set you at ease.....

Her sister got divorced....she kept the house and her husband moved. Well, her husband continued to get some mail at the house....including pre-approved credit card offers.

Well, being a 'woman-scorned' <snicker>, she started filling them out and returning them. She ended up ringing up $83,000.00 dollars in debt in under one year. She was caught when the bill collectors started tracking him down and calling him as she was making ZERO payments on these accounts.

Now, she committed several crimes here. Mail fraud, forgery (in several counties and states), and a few others. It ended up being several felony accounts in 3 different counties in GA, each county with multiple offences.

Now, that is a bad crime. What she did was very wrong. However, her sentence.......80 hours community service, 2 years probation. Also, she has to pay back a negotiated amount to the cc companies, but it has been rated down compared with her income, etc.

Now, she commited a crime. Your father made a mistake. I think this will show that he is not going to jail.

And another thing.....I filed BK7 in 1998. I had a Cap 1 included with a 8k balance. I received a new Cap 1 card less than 1 year later and now I have two, one Gold, and one with a 4k limit. If they let me go with 8k, I think your 245.00 will be ok. Hell, my payments were more than that! <g>

And, as far as people 'watching' these threads, I think that is being taken out of proprtion. I am sure there are some out there who know this site exists, but they have much better things to do than 'watch' this board. Don't get me wrong, the CRA's suck big time, and they screw a lot of things up, but most business do. I think the conspiracy thing is blown up a little around here sometimes.

I hope you feel better-

Shawn

NANA- Is your house a coupe or sedan? LOL!

20. author_22

I know, I guess he just wanted to be sure I wasn't bluffing. It's not over the debt, but adding me as AU without my consent.

Steph