Cap One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jsever, Jul 7, 2001.

1. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Cap One is calling me on the phone trying to get me to apply for their card. I've been ignoring their mailings for a year now. It feels good to say "not now." I applied for it about 2 years ago and they turned me down. I've since acquired 2 Prov cards and one Household card. In the meantime I've been cleaning my credit reports up and making timely payments. I don't think I need Cap One. Feels good.

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I love the power of saying "no" when these companies act like idiots. I closed two Crap.1 accounts last summer. One was a six year old account that was still secured. The other was a one year old card with a $300 limit. Both with high APRs. You are right in thinking that you don't need them. Cap.1's platinum card is very nice though--9.9 APR. Iit gets consistently good reviews. The classic and gold are the ones that suck.

3. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

If they call you again, ask who you are speaking to, write down their name (first and last) and politely ask them to remove you from ALL their calling lists. If they call back, you can actually score 500 bones!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Some people have actually BILLED the advertising company for their time...sometimes they can actually make money...

I think you have to NOTIFY each company by CERTIFIED R/R that further calls or mail will result in being billed $XXX.XX...and if they DON'T pay..........YOU WILL TURN THEM OVER TO YOUR COLLECTION AGENCY...
    :)

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I DON'T THINK YOU AUTOMATICALLY GET $500.00...

6. Davidoj

Davidoj Member

I would bet it is not cap one calling you but a marketing firm soliciting bus. for them. They are independent of cap one and often make you promises that they can't up hold. When you get the calls ask is this Cap one or are you a marketing firm rep them , they will usually do a uh and tell you. Good Luck DAVID

7. matty61184

You can file suit in small claims court, and get $500. I don't think it is an automatic thing, but you can get money from the company if they continue to harass you.

8. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I think some of you missed my point here. I'm sure I would get their card if I applied. My credit has improved since their denial 2 years ago. Plus I have 4 cards since then with perfect payment histories. It's just that I really needed it then and I don't now. Nice to see your responses though.

9. matty61184

I'm sure you would get approved, but if you are like me, you get fed up w/ the harassment of CONSTANT calls and mailings.

10. MikeB

MikeB Banned

I know what you mean. Sears sends me crap all the time. I have had about a call a week from them wanting to sell crap. I tell them my credit limit isn't high enough and hang up.

11. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Hey Mike I know what you mean. I got a Sears card about three months ago. 300 limit. I get calls from them to buy insurance, etc. I said the same thing. I don't have enough credit to afford their stuff. I get emails and flyers in the mail promoting 0% interest on items over 399.00. I told them that with the credit limit they gave me, I could only buy vacuum cleaner bags!

12. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

That's just like Providian. The times I have called customer service for whatever reason they tell you how your qualified for this product and how they will increase your credit limit by so many dollars to cover the cost of the service.

The last time I got so mad I told her if you increase my credit limit to $10k on my Gold Card I'll purchase the product. Needless to say that didn't happen but I think the rep got the point.