CAP1 "additional evidence"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tothetop!, May 24, 2007.

1. tothetop!

tothetop! Well-Known Member

I received this letter from Capital 1 after sending in a good dispute letter.

"Thank you for your inquiry....
    In order to research your request, we must have additional information. From the information given, we have been unable to locate an account number. Please write your account number, social security number, and address in the spaces provided below and return this letter along with the enclosed copy of your original correspondence to our office in the enclosed envelope.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you."

I honestly dont have my old account number that I had with them. My address has changed since I was a customer with them. And Im not comfortable sending my full social in the mail.
    Do I need to send this in? Or are they just looking for more time? If I dont send this in, does it make my 30 days void?
    Thanks!

2. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Did you dispute thru Cap1, or thru the CRA?
    Were they reporting?
    What were you disputing?

3. tothetop!

Sent directly to Cap1. Yes they are reporting on my CR. I was disputing the account as a whole. Requesting formal validation of the alleged debt they were reporting to the CRAs.

4. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Did you send a redacted copy of your CR, showing what they are reporting?
    Have you disputed thru the CRA?

5. tothetop!

No, it was one of the letters that Lexington Law sent when I was using their service.
    Im not sure if they sent a letter to the CRA or not.

6. rocket1977

rocket1977 Well-Known Member

You have no obligation to help them prove the account belongs to you. If they verify the account (if it is being disputed on a CRA), I cannot see how they could possibly defend their actions given the letter you received.

I hope you are not using Lexington law anymore.

7. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Include the account number as it is showing on your report, xxxx's and all... If they can't find it based on the number being reported, that's their problem. :)

8. tothetop!

I can very well do that :)
    Does this give them additional time? 15,30,45 days? If not, should I say that in the response letter?

9. rocket1977

Did you do a dispute with the CRA?

10. tothetop!

I WAS using lexington law. So Im not sure if they did or not. Im pretty sure they didnt though.

11. rocket1977

Isn't that all Lex does? In any event, if they do not have enough information to link you to the account in their own files, then they should not be reporting it. Do not give them that information (the info they apparently do not have).

12. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

I'ld give the letter to LL to have them to decide how to respond.

It's a lot better to DIY, but if they're already in-play, may as well have them earn their check.

13. rocket1977

Lex Law will not get involved in direct creditor contact unless you purchase their "enhanced services." I tried them several years ago, and EQ sent some of their letters back to me so I could provide identification, and the letters were awful.

14. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

That's why I say it's better to DIY; but if they're already involved it could be a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario.