Cap1 APR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by FatJake, Apr 16, 2001.

1. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Has anyone tried to get Capitalone to lower there APR? What is the lowest has anyone gotten, starting from 21%. Are they like providian in where you can usually get "help" from retention. This is my lowest limit card but it has a grace. Also got an 1100 increase last month. (Guess I was one of the lucky ones).

Thanks

FatJake

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

FatJake,

About 18 months after I opened an account with Cap One, a non-retention rep
    dropped me from 21.9% to 17.9% APR. In February (5 months after the first APR
    reduction) I wrote Cap One via PlanetFeedback concerning an issue with credit
    limit reporting and spoke with a Consumer Advocate who gave me everything I
    requested. In terms of APR, I asked for 12.9%.

It is only because of my fear to ask for more that it wasn't dropped any further.
    Had I fully acted on what freedom he was giving me in that conversation, I would
    have asked for 9.9% fixed with a platinum upgrade. Hindsight is 20/20. :)

I think Cap One's lowest APR being offered by retention now is 13.9%, though
    it seems some people have gotten retention to go as low as 12.9%.

Marci

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

FatJake,
    I have Kmart Mastercard with 11.9% APR and they increase my credit lines from 2500 to 5500 within three months after the account is opened.(without asking)

Ron.

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Marci, thanks for the info, as the reduction of my Cap 1 APR is my next goal. After that getting security deposit back.

Yes, once the fear is over, it now becomes a fun game.

Best regards,
    Sam

5. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Thanks Marci and Ron,
    I am going to let my increase simmer for awhile then try to get these guys to lower my interest rate. I like my Capital One card. There commercials don't really imply that there cards are "SUBPRIME". Providian was killing me softly with all those dam commercials. I still love them too and they work well with INTERNET purchases.
    Can't forget the DMB bank TITANIUM card. Hahaha This card is not bad looking and if you use the online payment system you will circumvent alot of problems people (including myself) have had with them posting payments via the mail.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

FatJake,
    If I were you, I stay away DMB. I heard they messed with their cardholders just as bad as Cross Country Bank. A couple of years ago, GE Capital sold Exxon Mastercard portfolio to them and I closed my account. Until Direct Maerchants Bank sold Exxon Mastercard to Associates and I reopened the account at the begiining of this year. I had Capital One secured card for a long time since they were called Signet Bank. Now I had two accounts with them:regular green Mastercard and Kmart Capital One account. They helped me to rebuild my credit history and I keep them for the account history. You don't expect any rewards with them. If you want Platinium card, I would recommend Citibank and they got good customer services and card programs.

Ron.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

21% reduced to 17.8% after 26 months.

Then I complained via Planet Feedback 2 months later and the result is 13.9%

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Jake

I have had DMB for 1 year now, no problems whatsoever. They recently lowered my APR to 14.74, limit is $3,500. Their increases are at 6 month intervals, automatic. Online payment works great - credited within 3 days, sometimes 2.

I keep hearing bad things. They haven't happened to me.

Oh, and they gave me a 9.9 BT about 3 months after I got the card - sent me a blank check.

breeze