Cap1 Info needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get an emergency credit line increase from Cap1 to purchase an airline ticket because my mother-in-law passed. I need this TODAY - the funeral is tomorrow morning.

Does anyone have a number or contact I can call at Cap1? Anyone have any info as to how Cap1 is willing to work with you on things like this? Anyone have any ideas as to how I can do this at ALL?

Thanks for you help in advance.

2. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

no, sorry. But I have heard that the airline
    offers some discounts if you tell them that you are going to a funeral.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: let us know.

Just call the number on the back of the card, and talk to an account manager. I've heard of prime cardholders having this feature , but not most subprime co's.

4. Shantel

Thanks Geo and Sam. I know that the airline's have discounts, but you still have to PURCHASE the discounted ticket. I have a ticket on hold already, I just need to means of purchasing it.

I thought I'd heard someone on the board talk about how Cap1 (or Providian, which I also have) did this for them, but I'm not sure. It's been a while ago and I'm sure I won't be able to find it.

5. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Capital One Retention
    1-800-889-9939

Good luck. The last time I asked for an increase it didn't take effect for a couple days and it was only $100.

If you think you can get the CitiBank Aadvantage card you may want to apply for that. When approved they'll give you the card # and expiration date over the internet and allow you to use up to $500 right away...

6. Shantel

Thanks Erik...I already tried to get it but they wouldn't give it to me.

7. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Nextcard offers immediate cred

Erik suggested Citi AA, but you were denied this card. Nextcard offers instant online approvals and also an instant line of credit with a card number, if you are approved!

You need reasonable credit to get approved.

chet

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Providian did an emergency inc

Was 1000, but it took 2 days to take effect. Try the number on the back of the card... that worked for me.

Worse case scenario if you don't have enough credit on any one card, you might be able to cash advances from multiple cards (at the bank). IF you go to your bank's counter they'll give you cash advances over the 100 limit... and even though that's expensive, if you took enough from each card you could always pay for your airline ticket w/cash at the airport.

9. Shantel

RE: Providian did an emergency

Thanks for all your help. I spoke to Providian this afternoon and said they could do it but that I'd have to pay it back in 10 days. I thought, now you all give increases so people can buy credit insurance, auto club memberships, etc, but when they are in serious need, you want them to break their neck repaying you. I've been a Providian customer for a year and my increases were good until my last $1100 increase in July of 2000. I've had none since.

At any rate, it doesn't look like I'll be going. But I WILL be posting to planetfeedback.com about Providian because I think that's a shame. I pay my bill and this is serious...I'm not trying to go buy a pair of shoes, ya know?

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: planetfeedback.

Providian has caught on the planetfeedback, its useless now.

I guess if all of your cards are maxxed out they are considering you a high risk client.

I flew from atlanta to rochester in < 3 days notice with priceline for like $150 total (round trip). You might give priceline a shot! :)

11. Shantel

RE: planetfeedback.

It might be, but I still have to say something. And like I said, I'm not buying a pair of shoes. Even if I had 30 days to repay it, I probably wouldn't have been so upset. At any rate, Providian deals in high credit risk...so they should deal with it.

About Priceline...didn't think about that. I'll check it out, but I need to leave 2night. Not sure how that's going to work, but it's worth a try.

12. Claudio

Claudio Guest

RE: Providian did an emergency

I am not sure on your financial situation but if you contact the airline and explain the situation... Most will give you a 50% cut in the rate of a ticket. I am not sure how this will help you.. Good luck.

13. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Compassionate fares aren't ve

I wish I could say that the airlines offered a good deal during the family emergency my husband and I experienced last summer but they didn't.

My father-in-law had been struggling with cancer for over two years and we new the time he had left was very short. Frequent visits were cost prohibitive, since we lived in the Los Angeles area and my husband's parents were in Tennessee.

When the end came, we called several airlines, explained the situation and asked what kind of a fare we could get.

The regular fare was over $200, if you can believe that, and the airlines would only give us half off. Some discount! Huh?

When we called, we were advised to purchase our tickets 14 days in advance so we could secure a discounted fare of $348. Of course, we couldn't do that. Since I'm not clairvoyant, there was no way to know when my father-in-law was going to die.

Eventually, the sad news came and, since making the trip was a necessity, we accepted Delta's version of a compassionate fare and purchased two tickets, each costing a little over $1000.

Shantel, I'm truly sorry for your loss. I hope you're able to work something out.

Donna

14. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Frequent flyer miles?

If you have them, use them

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: GOOD ADVICE

Unfortunately, at the time, we didn't have enough miles saved up to cover our trip. By now, though, hubby has enough to cover his next flight but I'm still working on it.

Donna

16. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

OOOPS

I see that I left out a zero. What I meant to say was *2000*, not $200.

Donna

17. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

You have a friend or relative

That's the best thing about having the Am/Ex charge card. Buy now......figure it out later. You you have any friends or relatives that can charge you a ticket for a hot sec until you gather some money to pay them when the bill is due? I've done this for 2 of my friends who needed to fly out ASAP! They paid me the money when the bill was due.

18. Shantel

RE: OOOPS

Well, I didn't go. The flight would have left yesterday at 6:55pm EST. The fare quote I got was reasonable (US Air @ $342). Another airline quoted over $500 (Northwest).

I was about 1500 miles below being able to use my frequent flyer miles (bummer).

Thank goodness my husband was already there.

Anyhow, thanks everyone...really! For your suggestions and support.

19. Jay

Jay Guest

Just give them a call, they will up your line