Cap1 Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dustin, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

How long should I wait before calling Capital One about getting an increase/interest rate drop? I got the card November of last year, with the $99 for $200, and have made every payment as soon as I get the bill. I know it hasen't been very many payments... Thanks!

Dustin

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: 6 months.

You can call up retention and ask them nicely if the computer has anything for you.

You might be able to squeeze $100 increase if you threaten them. (but it WILL reset the 6 month counter).

Otherwise, wait 6 months, and use the heck out of the card. Try to spend like $400-500/month on it! That will impress them.

3. Larry

Larry Guest

RE: 4 months.

If I were you, I'll try Cap1's retention early next month. If the first call fails, call them again and make sure you get a different CSR. Nicely explain the limitations of your card (low credit line/outrageous apr/high annual fee/ugly color) whatever works in your favor.

Good luck !

4. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Call them now. What the heck, they will only say yes or no. I waited until about 6 months and got an extra measly $100 and told to wait another 6 months. I wish I would have tried right after I got the card.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: true..

not to brag, but on my secured after 1 month i got $100 (whoopie) increase, and on my unsecured i got $100 (whoopie) after 1 billing cycle(month whatever).

They will pull a inquiry if you use the automated phone "increase" system. You may be able to swindle the retention account manager to convert your monthly fee into a yearly fee (with reduction), and with that a $100 (whoopie) increase will happen without an inquiry.

I'm idling my capital one cards now that i have a citi, however, if citi doesn't chalk up a line increase soon, i'll go back to working capitalone and leave citibank sit idle for a while.

6. Cricket

Cricket Active Member

I talked to cap1 last week about interest rate reductions, raising my limit, and unsecuring my card. They told me that I could only ask for 1 of those: raising my limit or unsecuring my card. They lowered my interest rate and told me that that was totally seperate from raising my limit, i.e., that it would not effect raising my limit later (like unsecuring the card would). They also said that a card needed to be six months old before they would raise the limit. Good luck.

Cricket

7. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Sometimes people feel torn between accepting a credit line increase and an interest rate reduction. If your credit limit is under $750, always take the line increase. For a typical $200 Cap One limit, 19.8% interest won't be any more of a problem to deal with than 9.9%.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Great Advice

A simple rule is always helpful.

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: also

Don't forget their policy on reduction of yearly fees. Thats where cap 1 makes (made) all their money from me. The $39 and $49 fee's which i got reduced to $0 and $24 respectively on my secured/gold accounts.

its all about bottom line, and how you use their card, and how they make the money from you. I don't rotate a balance at all on the cards, so i could card less about the 19.8% right now, and unless they are willing to match my citi 12.4% (i doubt) then its a moot point.