Cap1 w/ my new wife.....?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Zaphod, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Hello all! I am new to this arena so please be gentle. I have a question and I would appreciate any info you could muster up for me. I recently got married and I was put on my wifes Platinum Cap1 card as a joint account. Little did I know that in the past she had a 120+ day late back in 1997, before we were married. I pulled my Experian and Equifax credit reports and they both show the late payment on my report when I wasn't even on the account when this happened! Is this legit? Should I dispute it with the reason of never late or that I wasn't on the account at the time of the late payment? Thank you so much for your time and I appreciate any insight.

---> Zaphod

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Before marriage credit has nothing to do with you...DISPUTE IT!!!

I added my wife to everything I had...she only had some CD's, savings and checking.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I just read it again...
    You were added to HER account...You MAY have to take the bad stuff too...

I would put a note on your file (100 words) that you were added after marriage, so the 120 late is NOT yours.

By all means, try to have them remove it.

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Regrettably for you, at least in this case, the bad comes along with the good. Lots of folks here have become authorized users on the accounts of friends and relatives to rebuild damaged credit. If there is a good history on the account, the added info can help. For you however, becoming an authorized user had the opposite effect.

All is not lost, though. Dispute the info with CapOne as well as the three bureaus. From experience, I can tell you that CapOne is pretty nice about removing lates. In this case, especially since they are so old, I bet you'll get a positive outcome.

Good luck.

Donna

5. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

I agree Cap 1 is easy to talk with.

Following the family auto accident in Feb. Cap1 removed two late fees and two over the limit fees from one account.

I would call them and ask for the department that deals with credit reports.

Just for the record when you are added as a joint user or an authorized user on an account the entire history of the account follows. This can be really helpful to the right person.