Capital One....AAAAAAAUGH! (a

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cindy, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Ok, that was a Charlie Brown noise of frustration there in the subject line. I have one of those unsecured Cap One cards with the $200 limit. You all know the one. Anyway, I have been trying to get the limit raised with no success for the last two months or so. At first, I got the "six months" story. Well, today, I got a letter denying me for an increase (which I don't recall asking for...) and saying that due to Overlimit Activity, no dice on the increase.

Well, the overlimit was for $2, and it occurred because Cap One allowed an amazon.com charge to go through. I immediately made a payment online to cover the overlimit, and after I complained on the phone about that stinkin' $25 fee, they waived it ("as a courtesy".)

I go out of my way to pay (online) around $120/$140 a month on this card, as well. All I'm really looking for is an increase to maybe $500 or so; I'd like to be able to rent cars and purchase tickets with the card without worrying about more fees or declines.

Should I try threatening to close the account? Any suggestions, anyone....(Bueller?)

Cheers,
    Cindy

2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

RE: Capital One....AAAAAAAUGH!

When did you open the account?

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Not trying to rain on your parade but.....why are you mad at Capital One for *letting* a charge from Amazon.com go though? What were they supposed to do, decline it? You are the one who made the purchase, right? It's not Cap1's fault that you didn't have enough available credit at that time....right? I guess in the future you need to pay close attention to your balance, etc. and leave yourself a cushion....I know I know....kinda hard to do when your limit is $200! But we all know the rules:
    *NEVER PAY LATE
    *NEVER BOUNCE A CHECK
    *NEVER GO OVER THE LIMIT

Those are the laws of the sub-prime land!

Now you have no other option but to wait another 6 months or so or threaten to close your account which I wouldn't do if you have a balance (don't cry wolfe....they might call your bluff). I think the threatening to close option works better w/ a zero balance.

4. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Dear MP$40,

LOL...Yeah, you've got a point there...I guess I was sorta whining a bit, huh? Thanks for the whap up side the head with the cold mackerel of reality <g>. That'll teach me to post right after I get home from work. ;-)

Last time I checked, (a couple of days ago) balance is at about, like, $50 or so. I'll just pay it off, and use the card lightly for a few months (small purchases), and THEN try negotiating again....I really do want to keep the card b/c I have tried just about all the subprimes and I definitely prefer Cap One to the others (even with the small limit.)

And Doug, I opened the account at the end of September.

Cheers,
    Cindy

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

you might be lucky to get a $100 limit from retention, but you will have to wait 6 months for the next increase.

they are VERY strict about making mistakes.

6. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb with Cap 1. No increases if you are over limit or late (not even 1 minute) for 6 months from the date it happened.

7. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Hehe, I had CapOne with $200 limit. This was my first card ever. I know how easy it is to get over the limit, especially if you rely on the online account info and don't consider transaction that are authorized but not posted :))

Anyway, I closed it at about 10 months age and they tried to offer me a $500 increase.
    I told them to forget about it, I already had about 10k in another 4 lines at that moment.

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

O.k. cool.....

I'm glad you didn't blow my post out of proportion. I didn't want you to think that I was being a jerk. I was just stating the obvious. How do you think that I felt when I called Citibank back in '94 to inquire about why my card was still secured (after 18 months) and they told me since I was like a day late ONE TIME (wasn't charged a fee nor was it reported) that they couldn't unsecure? I was SICK!!! I was told that I had to make 12 consecutive payments on time before they would unsecure at that point! So a year later I called again wanting my card unsecured and they were like, NOPE....BYE! I was dumfounded! They couldn't even give me an excuse as to why either! I complained and basically chewed the rep out and hung up on him. Like a month later I get a check from Citibank in the mail for $300+ interest. I called the 800 number to see what was going on and they had raised my limit to $800. I was shocked and happy. But I learned my lesson though.

You just can't cut it close w/ these sub prime dummies! They are too quick to keep you down.

9. Himmel

Himmel Guest

Sorin,

Hey, another sucker here that got enticed by CapOne to apply for their gold card. GOLD, to me implied prestige, more buying power until I get platinum. I have over $3k on
    three credit lines and was hoping to drop one or two if CapOne GOLD would have an increased line over my previous cards.

I was excited when I got that card, but was hysterical when I found out their GOLD card was worth only $200. to me. heh heh ;)

I called the next day to cancel, they tried to get me to transfer my balances to that $200. and assured me my limit would be reviewed and increased within a month or so.
    Hmm.. how do I cram over $2k of credit into the $200. I asked?

The limit's just too silly! No Thank You.

10. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Jamie,

Really? Well, that's not so bad, then...my HORRIBLE (LOL!) overlimit happened the first month I had the card. I won't have to wait as long as I thought...

Cheers,
    Cindy

11. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

RE: O.k. cool.....

MP$40,

No worries...I don't take this stuff THAT seriously. I got a "field promotion" at work and things have been really hassle-rific since then. I shoulda had a beer before posting or something. ;-) Hey, I'm really just glad I was APPROVED for that Cap One card, to be honest...

And I had a similar experience to the Citibank thing happen in 1999 with my stoooopod ACE/UCNB Visa (WHAT a waste of money!). I went over the limit once. When I called the 800 number and found out, I paid it down immediately. The expiration date came, and no new card arrived. When I called to find out what was going on, I was told that b/c of the overlimit, I would get no new card (not that the card was that great, mind you). So, thanks to those noodniks, I have a "CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR" on all 3 reports. To make it worse, Experian, for some reason, has two listings for the same card. At least, though, they are "PAID NEVER LATE".

Cheers,
    Cindy