capital one? good/bad?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Is capital one a good credit card company?? I hvae been getting tons of pre-approval letters from them over the past 2-3 mos.. I don't know if this is a good sign because before I got NOTHING in the mail at all as far as offers are concerned.. I am only down to 2-4 negatives per report now - perhaps that might be why..

Just wondering what other people and their experiences w/ capital one.

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I like them pretty well.

They buy lists of names of people whose credit falls within their guidelines and bombs them with mail about getting their credit cards.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

good card to rebuild with.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Stingy with limits and increases, but they all are right now. Good service; they'll telemarket you to death. They will not report your limit.

5. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I've been with them for a year and a half. Mom signed as a guarantor on the High School Card. They upgraded me to the gold card a couple months ago, bumped my credit limit up $500, and lowered my rate to 12.9%. I've been very happy with them, and I use their online bill pay service, so my payments are never late.

6. Jamee25

Jamee25 Well-Known Member

I like them... they are really good for rebuilding like the others have mentioned. They are definatly better than Providian in my opinion. The interest rates are much better plus the customer service associates are nicer, they work with you in lowering the rates and reducing the annual fee.
    Their online pymts post fast, no worry on being late.
    I'd recommend them to anyone who is trying to rebuild.

Jamee

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DENIED with F.I.C.O. 685-704~~WIFE 725-741 DENIED...EVEN SO CALLED "PRE-APPROVED" ONES.

8. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Wow - cool, thanks for all the great info.. now, based on all the offers I've received, are they even different? I didn't really take a close look at the differences but some seem to want a deposit and others didn't.. I just found it strange that there were so many different offers with conditions.

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

VERY good. GO with the offer that has NO deposit.

You can request not to be on the telemarketing lists. Take that option once your account is opened.

they'll give you 300 per 6 months. So what you do is this:

Take a card. use it often and pay most of it every month. 2-3 months keep a small balance. At 6 mos and 1 day call and request a credit line increase. You'll likely get 300. Tell them that's just too small and you'd like to close your account. They'll transfer you to retention. You'll likely get 500 total or so.

6 more months pass. You'll likely get a mc offer somewhere in here. Take it. do the same. at the 1 year mark with the first card again ask for a credit line increase. it'll likely be 300. again, ask for more via a regular supervisor. If you don't get it say you want to close the account... get retention and ask for more.

Now your second card hits 6 mos or so. Write planetfeedback and request increases on both accounts. Talk with the exec dept and see how they can help you. Get better interest rates and line increases on each card (or you can combine the cards into 1).

If I were you I'd keep 2 cards open for 24-36 mos. You'll get more credit with these 2 cards than you can with one. At the 24-26 mos mark you can combine and likely get a Plat. OR, if your repair has gone well you can work each up to Plat visa and Plat mc.

Now, I say this from experience. I have now 2 Plat cards with 9.9 fixed rates and 1 gold card also with 9.9.

If you are good with Cap1, run a few balances, be PERFECt in payments (easy with online payments) and they'll be VERY fair with you.

But you have to be aggressive in calling, be nice, and you'll get some VERY prime terms in about 2 years. I know of no other subprime started card that can do this. They are my FAVORITE company because you can better your cards and still keep the longer account history :)

Find the best offer and send it in :) You're lucky they want you.

10. Hermit5

Hermit5 Well-Known Member

I like them. They are very pleasent to deal with.

I also used Providian. I didn't enjoy my experience with them. They closed me due to misinformation on their part.

I like Capital one. Going on 1 year with them.

11. threnody

threnody Member

Read the fine print on the terms before you say yes... you may find Annual fees, "monthly maintenance fees", and my personal favorite "We'll be glad to increase your credit limit by $500, for a one time fee of $39"

12. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I just got another one in the mail from them... It is a pre-selected card for the prmier. However, it says that I would need to pay a membership fee of $6/mo equal to $72 annually.. isn't this a bit high? However, it does say they will give me 0% APR until May 2002 and then 14.9 afterwards..

Should I apply for this and is there a way to waive the fee?