Capital One line increase

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by William Wa, Dec 29, 2000.

1. William Wa

William Wa Guest

I got the Cap1 Visa gold about 3 months ago, and while I was on the phone getting the info I needed to add it to my online banks bill paying system, it mentioned "Press 2 for Credit line increase." So once I had the information I needed, I figured why not. It asked me a couple questions (info they already had I would think, like my income, etc) and then the automated system offered me a $500 increase (no fees or anything). This was a 200% increase from my initial limit with them.

I've actively used the card, since it has been interest free since I got it, and have been paying all but like $30 of it off within 3-4 days of the statement period closing.

With all I have heard about them not giving line increases very often or very much I was kinda surprised.

What has your experience been with their telephone automated line increase option?

William Walsh

2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Tried it once, received 300 increase

3. William Wa

William Wa Guest

Any idea how long before they will consider another one? 3-4 months perhaps?

William

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

6 month wait period is the standard between credit increases is what i was told by cap 1 rep. I got a $100 increase on month 2.

5. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

My daughter received a notice in the mail that they were giving her a $300 increase, bringing her limit up to $500 on her gold card after 8 months, but after a year with the Classic card, she was still at $200. She called like you did, but she was granted only a $100 increase.

A couple weeks later, she called either to cancel her accounts or have them combined into one half-way decent card. They offered to raise her classic card limit up to $1000 and for her gold card, they gave her a choice of either raising the credit limit to $1500 or lowering her interest rate to 15.9%. She chose the limit increase.

The rep told her to call back in March, when the gold card is a year old. At that time, they could give her credit limit increases on both cards, lower the interest rate, and combine both accounts into one. The rep also told her that because the combined limits will exceed the maximum limits for a gold and classic card, she will probably be upgraded to a platinum card. If this is the case, then it will be a good deal.

Obviously, Capital One will hardly budge unless you ask them to, and if you have only their classic card, you should apply for their gold card as well. While they start the gold card with only a $200 limit, they will provide you with better deals on it.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

btw, i got the gold card with $500 limit :) id have been uber pissed at receiving a $200 limit card, i think aria has that market cornered!

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Classic - Silver - Gold - Diamomd - Platinum
    Once you hit 2000 or over proably upgrade to Diamomd until you reach 5,000 which then you would be upgraded to Platinum.

8. me40501

me40501 Guest

What is the number to request an automated increase?

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

1-800-262-1493