Capital One online

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mia, May 29, 2000.

1. Mia

Mia Guest

I want to pay my Capital One bills online, but I have no idea about how it works. Is it secure to use the internet? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
    THANKS

2. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

You just need to sign up on their web site one time with you checking information. Click on "access your account" and then the sign-up icon. I believe this link will take you right to the sign-up menu:

https://service.capitalone.com/

I pay my bill several times per month on-line. It costs nothing and the payment is processed within three business days. I have never had a problem with the service. However, Capital One has been recently upgrading the site and it has been unavailabile for on-line access at times. I suspect this is only a temporary problem while they fix the bugs.

Just make sure you are using a newer version (2 years or less) of Microsoft Explorer or Netscape. Both use sophisticated encryption software which protects the data being transfered. To be sure, when you get to the sign up menu and go to the next screen, if you see a gold lock at the bottom of the screen, you can click on it to show you what level of security your browsers are set to.

Hope this helps.

3. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Correction

I wasnt't able to get into the site previously, here is the correct link:

https://service.capitalone.com/cgi/Home

4. Lady of Qu

Lady of Qu Guest

Security Precaution I Recommen

Making payments on line with Capital One is convenient and free. Paying on line also places you in a select group of Capital One customers. Roughly 4 to 7% of their customers pay on line. These are valuable cutomers since they have ready access to the internet, do not superstitiously fear using the internet to conduct business, and probably more young and affluent than the typical Capital One customer. However, as a security precaution, I would suggest that when accessing your account make sure it is the first thing you do when opening your browser. Put another way, when you open your explorer or netscape broswer - go to your account, conduct the transaction - then close the browser. Or if you are surfing different sites and decide to go to your Capital One account information, close the browser first then re-open to conduct the transanction, again closing it before you resume any net surfing. The US Dept of Education website cautions visitors to the site to follow this procedure and I think it is wise. I visit the Dept of Education website website to check on my account balance and payment history. Unfortunately, the site is still not enabled to accept on line payments (which would save me time and money). Like all things governmental, it is behind the private sector. Capital One is great to offer the on line service for free but I think there "My One Wallet" store front is not very user friendly. I still frequent Amazon, ECost, Ebay, Egghead, and MySimon for on line purchases. But maybe if Capital One offered me a Platinum card to replace my secured 2K Classic, I might start shopping with them.

5. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

It's pretty simple, you just have to sign up at their website.

The internet is a very safe and secure place to conduct transactions, but Always make sure you conduct your transactions via a SECURE server and NEVER use email to send your personal information such as credit card or social security #'s etc....

If you want to protect your computer from hackers and intruders there is a software program that can do this for you, it's called Internet Alert, it's at:
    http://www.bonzi.com
    It's $39 but definitely worth it In my opinion (and no I dont get any money for referring this). :)

A.F.

----------------------
    Bad Credit? No Credit? Let Us Help!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com