Capital One Rocks!!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lucy, Oct 16, 2001.

1. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

I wanted to thank all of you here for telling me how great Capital One is! 4 months ago I got a pre-approved offer for a Capital One Kmart Mastercard with a $50 limit, not too impressive I thought, but it had no annual fee and no interest on Kmart purchases through February 2002. In 3 months they raised my credit limit to $200! (That was just a few weeks ago). Today, I log onto the Capital One site to check on my account and they have now raised my Credit limit to $300! (Two weeks later after the initial increase) $200 for Non/Kmart purchases and $300 for Kmart purchases.

They also approved me for a $500.00 Visa Card with only a $49.00 security deposit. The card was mailed out on October 12th. I am so glad I have read the messages here and learned from all you kind folks.

We previously were stuck with First Premier and Cross Country Bank, which as all of you know, both are lousy...

Thanks for everyone's help here. I am doing pretty good now for someone with a 520 FICO score! I've owned a house for almost 3 years and have a new car with GMAC financing... I owe the credit card help with Capital One to the kind people here...

Best Regards!

---Lucy

2. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Capital One has been a great company for me. Just always pay your bill on time, and you will get higher lines and card upgrades. I always use the online payment system at least 7 days before the due date. I haven't ever been late on my 2 accounts yet. Good luck!

3. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Do watch your credit limit as Capital One will sock you the overlimit fee in a heartbeat. Not just that but the overlimit will slow you down in getting cl increases.

Of course there is Mr. M to write to.

Best regards,
    Mirage

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

WONDERFUL LUCY! Stay with them, your mortgage, and GMAC. Don't do anything else for a while.

EXCELLENT! Plan on your goals w/ Capital One to turn it into a PRIME CARD after 24-36 months of excellent performance.

They won't lose you either!
    GREAT! Dogman

Glad you got the $49 card w/ $500 limit!
    It is a great, reasonable, starter card.

5. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Lol Mirage, I am always very careful about credit limits. If you think Capital One will stick you with an over the limit fee in a heartbeat try Cross Country Bank! It is not my card, it is my husbands.

He (I am guessing) cannot get a Capital One card EVER or be added to mine because we screwed up with a Capital One card in his name back in 1995, and I guess he will be on the blacklist FOREVER. Does anyone know???

Thanks in advance...

Lucy

6. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a Cap One Blacklist....

I had a Cap One in my BK (8k).

Cap One sent me a pre-approved letter 6 months after BK, was the 49.00/$300 card.

Now, 3.5 yrs later, that green cap one card has a 3500k limit, I have a Cap One Gold $300, and I was just approved for a Cap One Platinum (Don't know limit yet) from a pre-approved letter they sent.

My green card was 'un-secured' last summer (they sent me a refund check plus interest). Could have had it done earlier but had forgptten all about the 49.00.

Gotta be worth a try.

Congrats! and Good Luck!!!!

Shawn

7. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

A blacklist does exist because I was denied 2 cards originally because of an account my father had that I was on and got charged off.

A call to Mr. Miller will get it straight...if anything is still owed it must be paid.

Steph

8. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Shawn: keep us posted for your Plat. Cap 1 card. As your history and mine are very close expect for the cl. I got Mr. M to increase my cl from $700 to $1700 last spring and unsecure the account as well.

From what I understand you can roll all current Cap 1 cl into a Plat. status if it is a combine cl of 5k.

Never got an offer for the Gold.

Do you have any other info as APR, annual ???

9. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Steph- I remember you saying that now. Strange. I wonder what there criteria is? My first Cap One card came 6 months after my BK7 that included a Cap One card (8k write off).

Mirage- I am thinking the card should be here today or tomorrow. I was 'approved' on-line but it didn't say my limit, it just said card would come in 5-7 days.

BTW, I have received THREE pre-approved Cap One Plat offers in the last three weeks, the last one coming Friday in a 'fed-ex' type packaging somone else on the boards described. Wonder why the push all of the sudden.

Shawn

10. CAmove

CAmove Active Member

Who is Mr. Miller?

11. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Shawn: keep us posted.

CAmove: Mr. M is the CA at Cap 1. If you have a concern or a issue you should write to Cap 1 via PFB.

There Mr. M or Mr. C will contact you. Folks here have great sucess in resloving issues that CS cannot accomplish. Please understand that there have been posters here that could not have there issues resolved by the Consumers Advcate office.

Best regards,
    Mirage

12. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

Re: Capital One

I always pay Cap One online, first payment is at least the minimum due the week the account enters new cycle.

The second payment is $20 or more seven days before cycle closes. I do not want interest to cause an over the limit fee.

I have also called and requested that they not approve any charge that would put me over the limit.
    As long as I do not use a pay at the pump feature (authorizes for $1) I avoid any costly approvals.

They will approve small charges that put you over and then whack you with fees.

I have done well with planet feedback in the past. I Recently called retention and asked if renewal fees (Dec) could be waived.

Too soon but they did increase the K-mart card by $500. The card is now $100 K-mart and $700 other.