Capital One success

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by N'awlins, Mar 20, 2001.

1. N'awlins

N'awlins Guest

I was finally able to get capital one to unsecure my card after 1.5 yrs. I called retention at 800-889-9939 and the representative told me he had to do a "manual" override. He said he can do that only once every 6 months. He said that because they had increased my credit from 500 to 800 a month ago. So you don't have to wait 6 months for them to change something to your account. Some reps are nice some aren't. I guess you just have to be lucky!

2. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Congrats,

I called CapOne today to cancel my gold card with the huge $200.00 credit limit. The account only had a $3.00 balance. I expected to have the rep make me an offer to keep the card, but she didn't even ask me why I was closing the account...bah. Oh well, no big loss. I never made any late payments on either of my two accounts with CapOne. I did have a few OTLs here and there (easy to do with a $200.00 limit). I guess I should have asked for the retention department! Oh well, I will close my CapOne classic card in a couple of months too.

Mike

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

N'awlins & Mike B

Congrats N'awlins. Great job with stingy CapOne. Unsecuring an account is a major deal with them.

Mike B- I think you have approx 2 billing cycles to re-open your account. The only reason I say this is that I think you should call retention directly. The rep who assisted you probably just wanted to get on to the next call. Retention will do more to save your account. Just ask them if there is anything available for you because you really hated closing your account with such a great institution. You might be surprised! Use the retention number posted above. Just an option. Good luck to you.

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Re: N'awlins & Mike B

Congrats N'awlins,
    I had similar luck and believe you are right on. I got a 200 to 500 increase in my 1st month and had no problems once I got the right person.

It's not the time period you wait but the rep you get...if you call and get one that says they can do nothing for you politely tell them your dog just knocked over his water dish and you gotta run, you will call right back. Then wait 20 mins and try again.

-Dave

5. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Re: N'awlins & Mike B

Haha, I will do that when I call to cancel my other card.

Thanks,

Mike