Capital One tips & notes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Since Capital One's credit increase standards seem to become more lenient, they deserve some more attention from this board.

1. If you want a Capital One card, don't just apply for the Classic. Apply for the Platinum. Reason: If you're not approved for the Platinum, you'll be considered for the Classic anyway. The difference: If you apply directly for the Classic, they'll assess a $29 annual fee, set a 19.8% APR and offer no introductory APR; Whereas if you apply for the Platinum and are approved for the Classic, you'll get it with NO annual fee, 9.9% APR and an introductory APR.

Now that's quite a difference. In fact I dare say the latter seems to be an excellent card.

2. Capital One doesn't really have an answer for those in need of a credit line between $2,000 and $5,000. Their Gold only goes as high as $2,000. Their Platinum only goes as low as $5,000. From what Doris K told us about her daughter's talk w/ their Retention dept., it's possible that whenever they're ready to grant a credit line higher than $2,000, they'll issue a Platinum.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Saar

2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

RE: Capital One tips & not

2,000 -5,000 is a DIAMOND CARD

3. TY

TY Guest

But they will pull all three credit reports.

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Yes they would pull all three reports, because your are applying for the Platinum first.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Go to Visa website. There is no Visa "diamond" card. It may have been a promo name used by 1 or 2 issuers, but there's no "diamond" standard card. Cap 1 doesn't offer a card by that name either.

Saar

6. Saar

Saar Banned

They pull all 3 regardless of what you're applying for. Even when I applied for their secured!

Saar

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

I have their Capital One's current Diamond Mastercard, yes it's no Visa, but do you see Diamomd anywhere on their website. Also have Wachovia and Direct Merchants Platinum's. NO WHERE on either website refers to that they even have that card. Once you become a customer and show useage and pay history you can get Upgraded to cards that you CAN'T APPLY FOR.

8. Angela

Angela Guest

OOPS Saar - I just got a $3,00

I was preapproved.

9. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: OOPS Saar - I just got a $

Thanks for sharing. If that's the case, the information on their web site is completely outdated:

"Gold Card
    Up to $2,000 in credit with exclusive Gold benefits. Apply now!" (Source: http://www.capitalone.com/cardProducts/cardProducts.html)

Saar

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I got a 3K gold card last year