capital one visa gold

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kyla, Aug 14, 2000.

1. kyla

kyla Active Member

Just received my pre-approved offer from Capital One, with 0%APR until April 2001. Now, the question is....Has anyone been turned down from Capital One after receiving such or any similar offer(s)? My credit is scratched with few negatives from 6 years ago and was wondering before I submit this if I have a chance or am I just putting another inquiry on my credit report.

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Kyla

2. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

"pre-approved" does NOT mean you are guaranteed the card, it only means you have met a few requirements for their card offer, after you submit the application they will look at your credit report and make a desicion based on that, Capital one is a sub-prime bank so they usually give you a chance even if you have some credit problems.

Regards,
    Alex.
    ---------------
    Credit Problems? Let Us Help!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

3. kyla

kyla Active Member

Do you know for sure that Capital One is a Sub-Prime lender? Just because they issue secured cards does not equate Sub-Prime.

Alex - Creditinsiders.com wrote:
    -------------------------------
    "pre-approved" does NOT mean you are guaranteed the card, it only means you have met a few requirements for their card offer, after you submit the application they will look at your credit report and make a desicion based on that, Capital one is a sub-prime bank so they usually give you a chance even if you have some credit problems.

Regards,
    Alex.
    ---------------
    Credit Problems? Let Us Help!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

4. whizbang

whizbang Guest

If you have another card with Capitol One, and they send out another offer, most likely it was computer generated from a pool of names. That happened to me two years ago, and I was turned down for a Mastercard after I sent in the preappoved offer for one. They said they did not run a credit check, and they didn't either.

5. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Capital One does NOT only issue credit to the
    sub-prime market. They have many prime customers as well.
    If you have had fair credit & your credit problems are in the past, they will likley issue a card to you. Good luck!

6. khryc

khryc Guest

Be careful making comments like:
    Capital one is a sub-prime bank. They have just as many prime customers.

7. kyla

kyla Active Member

No, I do not have a Capital One card of any kind. The phrase they used were NOT "pre-approved or pre-selected," but "CHOSEN TO RECEIVE." A new phrase.

8. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I've been both a sub-prime and a prime customer with Capital One. I must say they have been good to me.

Still, I laugh just too damned hard every time I think of that $200 gold card they offered me recently. I've carried their Platinum card with a high limit for quite some time. Whatever the case, the first $200 card I received from them really helped me in establishing enough credit to qualify for their Platinum card.

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Doris K.

When I called Cap One with my huge SILVER $2300 limit, but great pymts - and dropping the fact I now had AMEX, they reduced my
    rate from 20.1
    to 13.9%.
    That's as low as many normal cards. Im pleased.

10. Doris K.

RE: Doris K.

Actually, that's a good rate. If I'm not mistaken, it's below the prime rate.

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Doris- Its LIBOR - London whatever exchange-
    you can see that it's not based on prime.
    I've seen other cards based on LIBOR - but either way I have already seen the new bill statement showing the 13.9 purchases.

Any explanations will be appreciated. I used to have some Gold Visa or MC in the early 90s that used LIBOR rates.
    I don't remember any horrible differences
    or swings.

12. Doris K.

Whatever it is, it ain't half bad. You've been doing something right! :)