Capital One....Weird

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I called in my pre-approved application for the $49 secured Cap One card on 10/16. I called last night to see what the outcome was, and the rep said she had no notes on whether or not I have been approved. I thought a week would be enough time for them to make a decision. Well, apparently not. The rep said I'd receive a mailed response by November 9, 2001. Does anyone think that this is totally wierd, or is it just me?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Capital One....Wierd

huh it takes 3-4 weeks to get your plastic. Just wait. Took me 21 days total. You will get it.

3. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Hey! :)

Don't sweat it. It took me almost a month to get each of my cards once approved and it took a while for approval.

They are super slow.

4. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Do you think, sam? I mean, she said she had NOTHING on either an approval or decline. I will be out of town on November 9th and am anxious to know if I wasted an inquiry. BTW< they declined me in March.

5. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

It could possibly be that you if you do not qualify for the $49 secured card that they are considering you for the $99 secured card.

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I got 1 preapproval 1 day, and another (exact same one) the next day. If I didn't qualify for it, they shouldn't have sent it, IMO.

7. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but that is what Cap 1 did with me. I phoned my app. in as well. The strange thing is a month later they sent me a pre-approved offer for a K-Mart Gold MC. Got that with no deposit and pretty fast too.

Lately though in the last two weeks I have received 3 invitations for Cap 1 Gold Visa cards that have come in my maiden name. I have not used my maiden name in 7 years.

8. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Erica,

You should be concerned if you are not in their system. So, you are right to follow-up with this. I applied for a gold card once, and the credit dept. at Cap One told me that an app is only in the system for 15 days after it is received. After 15 days, it is purged.

If you didn't get a reply - negative or positive, and they can't give you one b/c your app. isn't in their system, *and* they pulled an inquiry, you should:

write the consumer advocate at PlanetFeedback, and ask him to look into either finding your application, granting your application, or removing the inquiry.

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Do a search on my story. I applied for the secured card and then quite some time later got an offer for the $200 card for $199 deposit! I sent in the money, then after they cashed the check changed my mind. I got my deposit back. Then like 8 month later they sent me an email to reconsider their offer. They attached a deposit slip and all I had to do was fill it out, attach a check for $199 and send it back. So I did. They cashed the check and then lied to me several times about when my card was coming when in fact I HAD NO CARD COMING! My account was never set up. So I PFB'd then and Mr. Miller called me. Long story short, after I sent him a copy of the canceled check, he issued me a refund of my money and set me up with an unsecured visa w/ a $200 limit. I have since closed that account. Capital One works for some and doesn't work for others. After I was approved for the AA cards, they were the first ones to go. Only offered me a $100 increase and POSSIBLY an annual fee refund in 2 months when I called to cancel. HA! Jokes...

10. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

OMG!!!! I PFB'd at 2pm and by 3:30pm Mr. Cooke had called me back! He was so nice. I got the card with the $200 limit for $49. It has:

0.0% APR on BT's and purchases thru 5/2002, go to of 19.8%

I can't believe that I got the card. This is 2 new cards in a month. Maybe that is why my score fell 8 points in 1 week.

At any rate, I now have $625 in credit (more than enough for me), not including my $300 limit on my suspended store charge. That's not too bad for having as many negatives as I do and 1 unpaid charge-off.

Citi, here I come! (cough, cough) I think I need to let my accounts age a little before I apply again. Maybe come April.

11. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Cool Erica! Hope they work out for ya! Word of advice: Don't charge over $100 on this card. Stuff happens and I would hate to see you go over the limit and blow your chances of an increase. Good Luck!

12. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I'm glad it worked for you, Erica. :)

13. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Erica-

Congrats!

The last Cap One 'pre-approval' I sent in took quite a long time to come.....I received the "you will get your card in 5-7 days" welcome kit and the card at the same time, very near 3 weeks after I sent it in.

Another weird thing is I received two new Cap One Golds within 3 weeks of each other and they are almost completely different looking cards.

They are both Cap One Gold- one was pre-approval, one I applied for to see what would happen. The fron of both cards is pretty similar, but one has 'black' embossing and one has 'gold' embossing.

The back of the cards, however, are completely different! The address and phone # are the same but that is it, different text, different locations, etc. The small set of 'serial numbers' on the bottom of the card are different- don't know if they were just made in different locations or what, but it is odd that they are so different.

Shawn

14. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys, it feels good not to have wasted an inquiry. Now, if only I get the card before my trip. BTW, I leave in 14 days. Do you think I will?

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes.

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Breeze. I'm glad!

17. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Congrats Erica!!

Mr. Cooke is great. He has helped me, no problem, when CS won't budge.

Happy for you. :)