Capital One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Pat, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Pat

Pat Guest

I have an unsecured Capital One card. They have always been good. Today, the woman on the phone (about a dispute with a merchant) was EVIL. I called, and asked to have the account closed.

The woman who closes the accounts at once offered to waive my annual fee and increase my credit limit.

Neither was my intent, and I closed the account. But, if you want yur credit limit with Capital One increased.......

2. lena

lena Well-Known Member

It's too bad that you had to close the account because of one callous rep. When you called to close the account, did you ask the next rep if there was a note on the account that indicates who you last spoke with? If there is and you request to speak with a supervisor they will be able to track the representative down. It won't make up for the way you were treated today, but it will prevent her from treating other customers in an unprofessional manner. The last thing any company wants is for a customer to close an account due to poor service.

Pat wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have an unsecured Capital One card. They have always been good. Today, the woman on the phone (about a dispute with a merchant) was EVIL. I called, and asked to have the account closed.

The woman who closes the accounts at once offered to waive my annual fee and increase my credit limit.

Neither was my intent, and I closed the account. But, if you want yur credit limit with Capital One increased.......

3. Stan

Stan Guest

Thank you for spelling Capital correctly.

4. Pat

Pat Guest

She wasn't callous, she was truly insulting. I got her first name and operator #. The woman actually told me about her studies in computer programming, and how I need to "get an education", because I questioned the info Capital One "provided" her on a sheet of paper regarding the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), and disputing a merchant's charge.

I got a low "B" in Contract Law in law school. I'm somewhat familiar with the UCC. (I'm still an evening law student, and work full time).

5. BOB

BOB Guest

PAT, I to had a bad experience with a Capital
    One rep named Shelly. They had a system error
    with their computer. To make a long story
    short, I was basically called a lier because
    the information I received on their website
    could not have been there since this rep
    could not find it. It concerned a credit line increase I got with my low limit Gold Card. So I told her just close the account,
    I hate doing business with people who think
    I'm a lier, then she really got defensive.
    So she transfered me to a supervisor, when I told him I had a print-out from their site to back up my complaint he asked me to Fax him a copy, so I did with a complaint about the rep who needed some valium. Well I got a call back with an apology for the system error, they lowered my apr 5pts and waived
    the fees that were charged due to the error.
    So I came out alright and kept my account open. Sorry this is so long folks, forgive me. I'm old and talk slow so it takes me longer to tell a story than most. Anyone
    that tells bg I said this I will spread rumors about them at OUTHOUSE.COM. SteveZ

6. lena

lena Well-Known Member

As long as you have her name and operator id she can be located. I know it's inconvient for you to spend time and energy making calls to cap one, but this person definetely needs to be disciplined. No customer should be treated that way.

7. lena

lena Well-Known Member

As long as you have her name and operator id she can be located. I know it's inconvient for you t spend time and energy making calls to cap one, but this person definitely needs to be disciplined. Her remarks were inappropriate and no customer should be treated that way.

8. Flashback

Flashback Guest

You haven't known true rudeness, humiliation, degradation, and inhumanity until you've spoken with any rep in Cross Country customer service. Once you've been worked over by those thugs, you won't even want to touch a telephone for a month. My wife had to be treated for post traumatic shock after her telephonic interlude with a bruiser named Roberta. On top of that, they don't have a toll-free number.

9. Pat

Pat Guest

my point was that cancelling my credit card resulted in an offer of increased credit limit.

10. Pat

Pat Guest

my point was that closing one's account is a potential way to increase the credit limit.

I don't really mind that someone I didn't know was rude- it is like a stranger giving you the finger in traffic

11. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I love that analogy! Unfortunately, I can't help myself from giving the finger back. It just stuns people when Grandma flips them off! The looks on their faces are priceless ;-)

12. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Thank You, Pat

Thank you, Pat. Your point was well taken. I'm doing a balance transfer from Capital One to Citibank right now, and intend to negotiate from a position of strength, namely a zero balance. I have to get rid of that outrageous $59 annual fee, or get rid of the card itself.

That's the key to negotiating with avaricious subprime banks: you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. If you are indifferent to which cards you keep, then they have to show how much they want to keep you. And if they don't, and you have to walk away, and you feel bad about it, then you missed the point: you have to be absolutely indifferent to succeed.