Capital One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Newcomer, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Capital One combined my limits. I couldn't believe that I got a response from my Planet Feedback email. The rep was very nice and helpful.

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I agree. When it comes to improving customer relations, CapOne is really trying. When I expressed my needs and concerns, they bent over backwards to try to give me what I wanted. I didn't get everything I asked for but I came close. CapOne has made great strides lately.

Donna

3. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Re: Capital One & PFB

I've been hearing about Planet Feedback as of late and I'm not sure how it works. People seem to keep referring to the customer advocate or ombudsman who has magical powers. How do I contact him/them? Via PFB? I think Dave in LV mentioned that he got Capital One to do a lot for him.

I'm real interested in this because the super efficient postal service of ours just forwarded several statements from CapOne to me. I moved about 3 times in the last 2 years--insane ex issue--and things got lost during the moves so I don't really blame the post office for not being able to keep up with me. Anyway, these statements are actually very old but it looks like they've been taking on those late & over limit fees for a long time. I've called a couple of times but nobody could tell me anything about my account. Could the Planet Feedback person help?

4. marci

marci Well-Known Member

jonesing,

If you register at <www.planetfeedback.com> and write a compelling and intelligent letter to Capital One Financial directed to the CEO (Mr. Fairbank), you will receive either an e-mail response or phone call from the Consumer Advocate's office (part of the Executive Offices). Even though people have posted his name and number on this board - I think it is in bad form to call him without a letter via PFB first. By calling him first, you run the risk of pissing him off, getting fewer terms met, and making him unaccessible for folks in the future.

When you call the Consumer Advocate back after his e-mail or phone call, make your case well for why you want the changes you want and he will probably do it for you.

The Ombudsman is not related to Capital One but related to federal guaranteed student loans and helps many people in disputes with lenders and guarantors over their student loans. This is a totally different and unrelated resource.

5. john

john Well-Known Member

I agree...Captial One based on my experience is proving to be one of the nicest banks to deal with when it comes to extending credit to us Credit Disadvantaged types. The limit increases kind of stink but their if you work hard and pay your bills ontime they will respond favorably with increases... maybe not as much as we would like, bit it beats not having a card at all. I have gone from 200 to 1600 in 11 months and a lowered APR from 21.99 to 15.99. I don't carry a balance, but if I did at least it's not to big of a gouge.

To jonesing;

I recommend that you try the PayMyBills.com service. I also have moved around a lot and in the past I used that as an excuse not to pay my bills on time. Of course I didn't understand the devestating ramifications of having crappy credit.

The PayMyBills service cost 12.95 a month. You give your creditors a new mailing address and all of your bills go to that address. They send you emails when you have received a new bill and you can go online and review the bill and schedule a payment as well. It has been an invaluable service to me. You can almost break even if you have enough bills but doing it the manual way is probably cheaper as a lot of companies allow you to pay online. I like it because I can pay all of my bills on one website.

Citibank also offers the same service on their website. I'm pretty sure PayMyBills is the service provider for Citibank. And for some reason the service only costs 8.95 if you subscribe to it at Citibank. Probably because they have all kinds of advertising subsidizing the costs.

Good luck!!!
    John.

6. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

marci & john

Thanks for your help! When I get home I'm going to sign up for Planet Feedback. One thing about these letters though. I was just looking at a few shared letters and was wondering if I have to have my letter viewable to the whole world? Also, do I include my account information or wait until the Advocate contacts me?

John -- I haven't heard of the PayMyBills company before. Are they like the people in those PayTrust.com commercials? That's actually a good idea, for a while I was flying under the radar by not having any utilities in my name and using a PO box for mail. But now that the insane ex (long story) is 7 states away, I've been able to get my own place and am starting over. Thanks again for the great idea.

7. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: marci & john

jonesing,

You do not have to share your letter if you don't want to. After you write your letter and send it to the company, PFB will then ask you if you want to share it. If you say yes, you will get to edit out personal info (i.e account number, names, etc...) before it posts in the shared area.

You don't have to include your account number in the letter as long as when you sign off on the letter, you tell PFB to include your full name, and home address (the same address Cap One has on file for you). I have included my account number in previous letters with no problems, though, if you do choose to do that. Either way, as long as your full name and address are on the letter, the company will pull up your record.

Marci

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

jonesing

After you have constructed and proof read your letter for errors, you will be given an OPTION to share the letter. I did not share my letters. Marci was nice enough to share hers. It is a matter of personal choice.

Please do include your account #, E-mail, telephone#, address etc. Only you and Cap One will see this info and the Consumer Advocate has to locate your file.

Good luck.

9. john

john Well-Known Member

Yes...I haven't seen the commercials for PayTrust but I do believe they are related in some way. If you do decide it is something you are interested in be sure to get the service from Citibank....save $4 a month.

And I wouldn't post your letter to Capital for the world to see over on Planet Feedback. You might wan to post positive feedback if they do agree to some of the terms of your request if you feel inclined to do so.

I also used that forum to get the results I mentioned above regarding my Cap One Visa. They called me 1 day after I sent the request. The only complaint I have is that they called me at 7:15am. Thankfully I was up already but normally I sleep in till 8. I work out of my house so my commute is really short : )

Good luck and it's great that your old problems are gone from yor life...too bad you had to move so much but sometimes the change can be a good thing.

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

cap one is good for their secured product. its been 14 months to the day, i have $1600 in gold card credit with a $24/year annual fee and 15.9% with grace period.

I always pay this card off so the advantages of the grace period make it more valuable to me than the aria product line without a grace period.