CapitalOne - Are limits improv

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone.

As some of you may remember, I have two Cap One cards - One classic and one gold.

The gold is pretty new. It was opened last September, with a fabulous $500 credit line. However, within three months, without any prompting ffrom me, the amount was raised to $3000. Now we're talking! That's more like a real gold card!

Anyway, I've had my classic account since 1996 and the limit increases have been extremely slow in forthcoming. For example, the account opened at $1000 and, two weeks ago, I was only at $1300.

Completely fed up, despite the fact that this Visa classic represented my oldest tradeline, I decided to close it and called retention to tell them so. My efforts paid off.

The rep with whom I spoke was very pleasant and started making offers to keep my business. My interest rate was dropped to 17.8, (which isn't all that great), but still better than 18....whatever it had been previously and I was told that it would probably go lower in another three months. Then, he raised my limit by $200 and waived this year's annual fee.

So that was a week ago and CapOne sent a letter to confirm the agreement. I wasn't over-joyed but CapOne had given me something and I decided to accept, mainly because this was my oldest tradeline.

Then, yesterday, I received an offer in the mail to upgrade my classic card to gold. There was a $39 one-time upgrade fee, of course, but my credit limit was being upped by $500.

So now my classic, turned gold, has a limit of $2000. For CapOne, that isn't bad. Maybe they're improving. Perhaps they're starting to understand the need to offer better terms in order to keep existing customers happy.

Thanks for reading. I just thought I'd share.

Donna

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: CapitalOne - Are limits im

Sorry about the botched subjectline. Since the board change, this was my first time creating one, and I didn't realize it was too long. Whenever I hear my syntesizer read it, I flinch.

Donna

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Actually, Cap 1 Retention is also authorized to waive the $39 gold upgrade fee.

Saar

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks, Saar, for the info. You can bet I'll be giving CapOne retention another call.

Donna

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Retention told me to call every 3-4 months, offers appear on their screens for each account you have (both) and they will list the offers. Remember cap 1 folks are mostly monkeys, they follow the capital one computer to the tee. Retention folks are nice, they can only do so much. Its up to you to call every 6 months and ask for a limit increase. And up to you to call every 4 months to ask for other things that will improve your relationship with them.

They aren't nearly like aria. they are very straightforward, most of the time. Where aria will flat out lie to you, cap 1 folks usually say "Look the computer doesn't give me an option, try again later.".

good work no less! I still have faith in cap 1

6. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Sam...
    Think it's too early for me to call Cap One? First of all, I have their secured card with a $200 limit ($99 deposit). I have only had the card since January 01. I'm not really interested in a limit increase at this point. I can wait until the 6 month mark for that.
    But since it's a secured card, think I'll have any luck negotiating ANYTHING? I realize at this point, I've only had the card for what - 2 months? My whole thing is that I have heard they are really tight when it comes to their secured cards. I know you've had luck with them, though...

7. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I have their secured card also. I am thinking of getting rid of it soon even though it's my oldest account. I've gotten a few cards that don't have an annual fee and I kind of want to get rid of the cards that I have to pay to keep. So far I've asked for a limit increase and received a lousy $100 and then a couple weeks later I called to try and get it unsecured but all they did was lower the interest rate and told me to wait at least 12 months before getting it unsecured.

It seems to me the people who are getting the better offers are the ones that have more than one card with Capital One. I would keep it if I could get them to waive the annual fees permanently but I don't know that they'll ever do that.

8. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Erik,
    How long have you had the secured card? Maybe if you try to cancel, they will unsecure or give you a bigger increase?

9. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

The deal I just got is the best I've ever received from CapOne and, Sam, I've been asking. The retention number Marie gave...Thanks, Marie...may have been the key.

Also, I did threaten to cancel the account and I was serious. I definitely would have followed through had the rep not offered anything substantial.

I don't have experience with CapOne secured cards but I know about their classic. It's tough to get limit increases.

The gold is a little better, I think. The limit on my first gold card jumped up pretty fast. Eventually, I plan to combine my two gold accounts and just have one CapOne card.

Donna

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I've had it for seven months. Well I did threaten to cancel last time but I wasn't serious.

I just don't like playing games and having to threaten to cancel just to get what others are already giving me. The card is really just a headache for me because I keep thinking about what is the best strategy to get them to give me a decent offer so I can keep them. When I am close to a year I will probably close it unless they waive they annual fee. My balance is at zero now and I'm not even going to use the card or call them until then.

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I've had the cap 1 secured for 1 year, i got the renewal membership fee waived. They didn't want to unsecure it. After 9 months they offered me a unsecured card $24/year $500 limit. I plan to unsecure or close the secured soon.

btw my original $99 for $500 is at $1100 now. I pay, sometimes 2x the credit line on the secured since i got it.

Both my secured and unsecured got a $100 increase after 1 month. I'm hoping the next increase on the gold is good or i'll idle it.

12. greg

greg Guest

I had two accounts with cap 1 one was gold with a 1500 limit at 15.9 apr and the other card was 1400 with a 15.9 apr. I called to close both accounts and was offered to merge both accounts into my gold card with a fixed apr of 9.9% with no fee and my limit was increase to 5500. I found the person helping me out was great . both cards were about 17 months old. <CAPITAL ONE IS A GREAT COMPANY>

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I got a cap one card and within the first month...not yet having paid anything, I called retention and told them I had been offerred better rates and fees from Providian. He upped my limit from $200 to $500 and cut the fees in half. NOt bad for not even paying the first month yet.

Ive read here that if you call retention and get someone that does not appear to be giving you what you want...politely tell them you got a call on the other line and you will call back...then wait a while and try back to get another rep...don't get into arguments or shouting matches or pleading sessions. Just excuse yourself and try again for a new rep. -Dave

14. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Cap 1 Changes for me

I called Cap 1 about my Classic card today---regular customer service said there wasn't anything they could do about my limit since I just got an increase last week but they did change my interest from variable (about 21%) to 17 fixed :)It's a start
    Also, they wouldn't do anything for my KMart card account since it's not 6 mos old yet--last week they lowered the interest to 15.9 so I'll call at the end of the month for a limit increase :)
    Just an update
    am

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: Cap 1 Changes for me

Why don't you try to call them lowered your Kmart card to 11.9% APR? That's the best rate from Capital One.