Car Ins/Accident Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Meredith, May 21, 2000.

1. Meredith

Meredith Guest

I know this may be off of topic, but I need some bigtime advice.

Saturday evening on my way to my boyfriends home I was involved in a car accident. I was drving in the middle lane of a 3 lane road and changed lanes into the right lane one vehicle whipped out infront of me and another a large chevy van, which my mercedes was obviously no match for in size, just pulled right out after him. I tried to stop but couldn't seeing as I was doing almost 45mph. She hit my vehicle in the left rear with the right front of her van, sending me and my cara flying into a light pole. Had we been swtiching lanes at the sametime i would have hit her in the side so since I myself had changed lanes seconds before she did and was more than half way past her car when she pulled out does anyone have any idea whos fault this is? Should her ins pay it? I do have a wittness who saw her hit me

The officer refused to issue a ticket and I pay really high ins and do not want it to go on my ins. I owe 3500$ on the car. It looks like she did about 7k+ damage. I need a car so that I can get to and from my office when I need to, and was planning on getting something else by the end of the summer anyways. At this time however I have no money saved for a down payment.

I really need some suggestions any help from someone in the ins business would be great.

Thank You.

2. John Debto

John Debto Guest

Well, it's not clear to me what happened and who's to blame from what you wrote. If you have insurance coverage, you ought to contact your insurer.

3. Meredith

Meredith Guest

If I contact my insurer my ins will go from 1000$ every six months to just over 2000$ ever six months. BLAh!

4. Levern101

Levern101 Guest

Your insurance will only go up if the insurance company covers the damages on your car. Your estimate of damages, did it come from an adjuster or a body shop? Since no citation was issued, it will not be on your driver's record, so I repeat, unless you allow your insurance company to cover the damages, your policy will not go up. They have no legal grounds. Trust me honey, I've had policies upwards of $3000 per year because of speeding tickets and fender benders. Ask around and get various estimates for repair. Your best bet, and I know this sounds sexist but noteworthy, take your boyfriend with you. It's amazing how repairs and maintenance costs have gone down when I've had my dad take my car to a garage as opposed to taking it myself. It also helps to pray:)...that really works.

Carolyn

5. Meredith

Meredith Guest

My ins is at the 2k a year mark now, from speeding as well. I do have an est just over 9k to even make it driveable. THE CAR is going to be TOTALED. My ins if I even let them would not cover the pay off on the loan or even close. I can not roll the loan into a loan into a loan on a new car because it will make the loan to high for the value of the new car, should I just tow it home, get the new car, and pay the loans on both and keep fighting with her ins? I could take the money from her ins and then pay that on the principle owed on my benz and hopefully cover all if not most of the loan......any suggestions?

6. Eric

Eric Guest

If you are upside-down on your loan (i.e. the book value is less than the remaining loan) you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay off the remaining balance on the loan.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I think most banks will continue the loan under it's original terms.

7. Meredith

Meredith Guest

who knows i have a grand now i think i am gonna go for it when i have 2500 or so that should prob help me big time......with 2500 down on a 14,500 car w/tax title and license then adding in 3300....ford was willing to goto 15,100 on the car i think i should get it ok if i go 2500 or 3k down, who knows its time to save save save :) it probally doesn't help that i am gonna switch jobs in the next 2 weeks either, although i will work every other weekend where i am.