car refinancing tips.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Nov 12, 2000.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I just picked up a new car, crappy interest rate of 12.25% ($3500 down on $25000 auto).

Anyone care to give tips on how they say after a year, got their major automobile finance corp to lower the rates? Any cash needed? How much.

Hoping to drop the interest rate down to like 5 or 7 % to save some mucho dinero.

Please post any tips, no flames necessary.

01' jetta gls vr6 (black)

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Sam-

Where did you finance the car? Was it through Volkswagen credit?

Please describe your credit for me. Include oldest trade, all derogatory entries, # of inquiries in the past 6 months, and types of credit (installment/revolving/mortgage).

This will help to answer your question further...

Thanks!

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

thatz a NICE machine too - slobber!
    the 6 cylinders are the BEST!

not too bad for an interest rate - why not pay a yr then refi?
    then you'll get a prime rate after 12 months.

cya - dogman

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

really. i think i am going to do that. I was just curious what rate they give out, to any one that has refinanced after a year! Prime rate would be great, and save thousands..

5. augustabel

augustabel Guest

I bought a car last year and was given the same story about "take this crappy rate now and anyone will refi you after 12 months of on-time payments...". I put down 30% on the car and got a 21% rate. Now, I don't know your credit history but I haven't been late on anything for 3 years and was never late on my car payment and I still can't refinance. My loan balance is well below what the banks recommend. Just wanted to vent on that, hopefully you'll have more luck in 12 months.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

If you have payment coupons like a mortgage it has a line for extra payment towards principle...pay $100 or $200 extra every month...YOUR INTEREST RATE HAS DROPPED!!!

7. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Try your local credit union, they have some of the best rates and they are not as stingy as the major banks.

Hope this helps

Reshod

augustabelle wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I bought a car last year and was given the same story about "take this crappy rate now and anyone will refi you after 12 months of on-time payments...". I put down 30% on the car and got a 21% rate. Now, I don't know your credit history but I haven't been late on anything for 3 years and was never late on my car payment and I still can't refinance. My loan balance is well below what the banks recommend. Just wanted to vent on that, hopefully you'll have more luck in 12 months.

8. Eboni

Eboni Guest

No one is going to refinance a used car for 5 or 7%. That's a NEW car interest rate. You car will not qualify, plus you need really good credit for that kind of rate.

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. The car loan is simple interest. Are you sure? VCI credit i don't think accepts partial payments in any way shape or form. Even if you pay 2 payments at once (impossible),you are liable for paying a payment the next month, (reducing loan term). I'm sorry i can't afford paying two payments at a time!