Car Rentals and Credit Card Ho

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eboni, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Eboni

Eboni Guest

How much of a hold amount do Car Rental Companies place on your card? If your rental price is $180 do you have any idea how much of a hold they will put on your account?
    I'm going to be renting with Avis or Budget and was just curious.

2. Carrot

Carrot Guest

RE: Car Rentals and Credit Car

I know Budget holds $200.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They can pre-authorize almost any thing they want if you don't ask.

With an estimated bill of $180.00 they will probably pre-authorize $200.00 MINIMUM!

When I flew to MAINE, I put the lodging on one card, the car rental on another card!

IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH CARDS, AND ENOUGH CREDIT LINE, WHEN YOU RENT THE CAR GIVE THEM CARD "A"...WHEN YOU PAY FOR THE CAR, USE CARD "B"
    WHEN YOU CHECK IN TO THE HOTEL USE CARD "C"
    WHEN YOU CHECK OUT USE CARD "D"
    USE CARD "E", FOR YOUR OTHER PURCHASES.

NOTE: ALL "HOLDS' WILL DROP OFF IN TEN DAYS MAX.

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I rented through Enterprise and I think if I remember correctly that if you use a regular credit card, they authorize $75. If you use a check card, they do $150 and that money is taken out of your checking account ASAP! Then they credit back money if your balance is less.

Some places won't even take a Check card!

5. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Eboni,

I just rented last week through Dollar Rent A Car, a one-week rental. They pre-authorized $200.00. My actual bill came to 186.00. They quickly credited my account $14.00.

CR

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Eboni - BUDGET does still take VISA/MC check cards for the whole purchase - just like a credit card - BUT will debit immediately.

Also - flat call the car rental, tell them you habe made several large MC purchases lately;
    you need to know what sort of hold they would put on your card.

CYA - Dogman

7. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Thank You

Thank You for all the prompt responses.

8. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

I travel two weeks out of every month. I rent cars everywhere and Avis and National have always put a hold on my card for the estimated cost of the rental. Never more than that. I know this because I am stuck with one card with a $1000 limit on it and I have to manage it very carefully to always have available credit. I have Avis Preferred and Emerald Club rental cards, I don't know if that makes a difference.

9. r

r Guest

I usually rent through Enterprise and they usually base it on the # of days you are renting for. I would say that the minimum is $200. You can call beforehand though and ask and they will tell you. I've found that when using a Master/Visa debit card--first you have to have enough funds to cover the hold amount and secondly, the hold drops off right away. I have found it to be different when using my actual credit card.

I'm a regular customer (couple x's per month) with Enterprise and there have been several times when I didn't have the available credit or enough in my debit card account. If I let them know beforehand, they just make an imprint of the card but don't place a hold on it!

10. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I used to do the car rental gig with V/MC cards - and it was difficult sometimes.

I also had a problem with a travel agent who goofed on a European airline ticket - having to run it through, voiding it, running it again... by the time I got to Belgium, the car rental wouldn't go thorugh (took 7 days for airline ticket voids to clear-out). UGH!!!!

If you can get it - get an Amex or Diners Club just for travel. The no pre-set limit really comes in handy for rentals & hotels.
    Not to mention airline changes/lost tickets/etc.