Cards in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ryan, Nov 2, 2000.

1. ryan

ryan Guest

Hey all,

Was just wondering what sub-prime or secured cards some people from Wisconsin out there had? I know we can't get Orchard, Providian, First Premier, First Union, etc.

I have a FCNB, but was thinking about looking for a second.

Thanks in advance,

2. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Try Nextcard...Maybe

My Co-worker who went through a bad divorce (we hear about it everyday) had his credit ruined by his EX. He hasn't had a credit card in 5 or 6 years. He lives in Wisconsin and got a approved today at work for a Nextcard. He was shocked he even got the card and so happy he almost cried. He has been giving other people money just so he can buy plane tickets.

He was able to get a Nextcard with poor credit. You might be able to also.

Roni here was declined, but I wouldn't let that discourage you.

You might want to try Nextcard, they offer subprime to secured.

3. ryan

ryan Guest

RE: Try Nextcard...Maybe

I tried last week, and was declined. But I was trying for one of their "cobranded" cards, and when I tried to call today to see if I could get the secured or subprime:

1) Got disconnected about 6 times
    2) Then was told to reapply?

Wasn't too impressed with customer service. Maybe I should just try email....

4. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

RE: Try Nextcard...Maybe

I think Capital One Visa and Mastercard are available in WI.

5. ryan

ryan Guest

Cap One Sucks

I had a Cap One card a couple years ago...... had too many problems with Cust Serv, billing, etc..... long story short... i'd have better luck with my check card =6

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Cap One Sucks

I DUMPED CAPITOLONE AFTER THREE+ YEARS OF PERFECT PAYMENT HISTORY AND NO CREDIT LINE INCREASES.
    I told them to increase the credit line or I would close the account...they said they could close the account in about two seconds if I wanted them to!!!

SO THEY DON'T CARE!!!

7. John Debto

John Debto Guest

RE: Cap One Sucks

George,

When you demanded they increase the credit line, what percentage of your existing line had you used? (was your card maxed out, in other words). It seems to me they let people go that have a high balance to line ratio.

But anyway, I agree with you completely, you stay with Capital One you get a $300 credit line while other banks give you $5000 or more.

To HELL with American Express and Capital One!

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Cap One Sucks not really.

Dont know about you, but i got $500 limit for $99 deposit at cap1. month 2 - received $100 limit increase - month 8 received $200 limit increase + $300 bonus line for their not so overpriced online store.

9. Michael

Michael Guest

Why not try,

American Pacific bank, United National, or Chase?

10. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Cap.1's subprime for life card

I closed my capital one accounts recently. It was a $5K line, partially secured, that had not been increased in two years. Cap.1 would not unseure it even after six years of good account performance. I paid it down to -0-. AFTER I told them to close the account but before they did (this can be a long process which takes months even after it is paid off), they offered to increase it $500 with a $99 deposit.

In the meantime, I had picked up new accounts with ATT Universal, Citibank and MBNA with credit lines totaling 21K. When I got the 2K Cap1 deposit which paid a generous rate of 2% while the card was at 20+, I put the funds into stock. I have made more money in one week with this $2K than I did in the six years it was with Cap.1 even though the market is generally crappy right now.

11. ryan

ryan Guest

Am Pacific isn't available here. Does United National have a website that anyone knows of?

Wisconsin has some very unusual restrictions on credit cards, so there are a LOT you can't get here.

12. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

Here's United National's secured credit card info page:

http://www.united-national.com/personal_banking/secured_credit_cards/index.html

Warning, there is no grace period for new purchases.

13. ryan

ryan Guest

I emailed them to find out if they're available in WI, minimum deposit, etc. I can live w/ no grace period for a while =)

I was also thinking of trying Well Fargo Financial. I'm going to call, explain my situation, and see if maybe I can't get a unsecured card with just a low limit (i.e. $250)

14. Michael

Michael Guest

WHY NOT A LOCAL WI BANK?

Isn't there any banks in WI that can do this?
    What about U.S.Bank?

15. ryan

ryan Guest

RE: WHY NOT A LOCAL WI BANK?

Good question. I'm not sure about USBank, but after digging a little I found out Firstar offers the Elan Secured card. My bank (Guaranty) also uses Elan, so I may be able to just go though them. The interest rate isn't outrageous, and they have a grace period.