CA's are thieves!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tmitchell, Jul 20, 2001.

1. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Sorry, gotta vent.

I made the mistake of authorizing a payment by phone from my checking account in exchange for deletion. (I know, I know - bad move and I feel like an idiot!). Anyway, during the call, I didn't have the routing number because I left my checks at home so I told him I'd call back later with it. In the meantime, he calls my wife at home (she isnt on the account) and gets it from her and asks if I am still willing to go through with it. She told him she didn't know because it's not her account.

I call them later to top them from doing the deposit because they wouldn't put the deletion letter offer in writing. The girl says OK and notes the account.

Well, today, a f*n $183 debit hits my account! I went ballistic and called them. I got the supervisor and threatened to sue. He said the account was noted but the check had already been submitted!

I gave them 2 options - either FAX me a deletion letter NOW (they previously said it would take 7-10 days) OR reverse the charges. Otherwise, I told them, I planned to file suit this afternoon.

He took my fax number and will be faxing my deletion letter shortly (so he says).

Moral of the story? Take the advice of those on this board! I knowingly broke a cardinal rule and almost paid for it dearly!

Again, sorry - I had to vent

Tom

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I am in utter amazement! Believe me when I tell you that you DON'T want to know what I would of done. Suing would of been peanuts! I can just imagine it now....logging on to my account to check my balance and seeing a $183 debit. Just the thought alone fires me up!

By the time you read this post, that deletion letter better be at your fax machine. If not, (among other things) I would be on the phone with the local law enforcement, my bank, and anyone else for that matter to file fraud charges! Theft is a crime ya know!

3. tmitchell

That's how I look at it. If nothing else, they didn't have anything in writing to authorize the debit and if they taped the conversation, I clearly told them I would call back and give the OK. They debited before I could. So my bases are covered! All I'm really concerned about is the deletion though so if they fax it, I'll grudgingly consider it a wash.

BUT BEWARE! NEVER do anything over the phone with a CA! I should have known better!

Tom

4. Cadillac408

I wanted to go there but wanted someone else to go there first! :p

5. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Ah, come on, MP, give us just a little hint to brighten our day!!

6. tmitchell

Lizardking.....

I should probably rephrase my original post.

She didn't actually give him the routing number, he told her that he did some "investigating" and determined it on his own. She simply confirmed what he said because I had spoken to her in the interim regarding the account and had all intentions (between her and I) to authorize it so she didn't see anything wrong with it. Even when asked if it was OK to do the debit, she told them she didn't know and that they should talk with me.

Tom

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

that's a Federal crime. Call the FBI. Call your local detectives. Have the person who did it arrested.
    Then sue them in civil court. Put it on their credit record.

sue the collection agency. Get a nice check for your trouble. what they did is criminal. Criminal. not just civil.

I think you should get the deletion and your money back for not having the person put in jail.

You have a year from the date of activity to file charges. Why not?

when are we going to grow up and play the same game they do? hardball.

Honestly, I'd get both the deletion and your money back. Paid in full for no charges filed.

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

This is just one of many reasons that the only authorization i allow on my checking account is a properly completed and signed check!!!!

9. tmitchell

Marie....

Seems difficult to prove that I didn't give the OK. On what grounds would I press charges. Would it be the fact that I told them to wait until I called back with the routing info and they went ahead and got it themselves and then debited prior to my callback?

Tom

10. Cadillac408

If I laugh any harder.....

This is the best! HA! :))

11. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Tom, the burden of proof would be on them to prove you DID give the "ok". Not on you to prove you DID NOT.

-Dave

12. Cadillac408

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in a bit of an aggressive mood towards the whole credit industry.

:)

Remember, I've been lied to on the phone today by all 3 CRAs. clean sweep.

I'd just love for consumers to turn the tables and push the issues.

After all, even if a detective only called and asked questions about the matter, wouldn't you think they'd think twice about ever doing it again?!!

The guy looked up the routing number and processed a payment that hadn't been given authorization yet.

The proof will likely be on them that they had authorization... and still, it'd scare the daylights out of them if anyone called and inquired about the circumstances.

Heck if it were my account, I'd at least mention that I'd talked to a friend... blahblahblah who's an atty.. blahblahblah... and I was told what they did was criminal... thinking about what to do... how many times have they had collectors put in jail for unauthorized debits from individuals accounts??? And because it deals with banking that's federal territory... hmmm... just wondering out loud if that'd be the FBI or what??? Mr Manager, which agency came after your company before??? FBI I'd guess... or maybe just my state's atty general... hmmm. interesting situation, don't you think.

Fear is a powerful weapon :) and I guess today I'd be at least a little mean to them.

14. tmitchell

Now, I'm really PO'd! I got my deletion letter. One problem....They had the incorrect SSN! AHHHHHH! I could have fought them on this! Anyway, I did my good (and moral) deed and paid the debt and it should now be gone soon.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a deletion with a deletion letter from the creditor? They faxed it to me and I think they faxed it to CBA (Experian).

Tom

15. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

My experience is the the CRA's do nothing when they get the letter from the CA. They wait for you to send it to them and ask for deletion.

16. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

even when you faxed the letter to the CRA (i.e. EX) they still don't do it, the lady I was working with called the collection agency just to "verify" , although I had faxed her the letter from CR and the CA.

It's all BS!

Cypri:)