CA's Coming Out Woodworks

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I don't understand it. Over the last 4 weeks, I have sent out THREE validation letters to collection agencies that have literally came out of the woodworks. It appears as though the more I clean my credit reports up, the more they start to harass me for money! Funny how when my credit was crap, I never got a collection notice. Now I start getting deletions and they are all over me like white on rice! What's even more disturbing is that these debts are EXPIRED.......I think? You tell me...

One is for a Wards account that shows as transferred or sold on my reports (Experian and Equifax) with a zero balance. It's due to fall off this October. The date of last activity is different on Exerian (10-99) and Equifax (12-98). I sent a validation letter on 4/7/01 and they have not responded. I think they are bugging me now because Junum has been continually disputing this entry to no avail....always comes back verified! :(

Next is for some account from MCI that isn't on any of my reports at all. I have no clue what this is even about since the account is from 9-96 and I have not done business w/ MCI prior to 10-99. I sent a validation letter on 3/12/01 and they have not responded.

Finally is balance on a checking account w/ BofA (word of advice: never get a joint account with a boyfriend). I was not the one who overdrew the account but they are coming after me for the money. I received 1 letter from some agancy in Washington and I ignored the letter. I guess they sold it to this other agency because I got a letter in the mail from them today. This account was back in 10-97. This is not on my report either. I sent them a validation letter today (cc'd my lawyer also heehee!).

Anyone have any advice on what I should do next?????

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

How are they coming after you? Are they just calling you or threatening for judgements as well?

3. Saar

Saar Banned

A validation letter has no legal effect other than with collection agencies. Sending one to MCI is useless (unless you think it'll scare them, which I doubt).

Saar

4. Cadillac408

No, just standard collection letters that you receive initially from an agency stating that you owe money and have 30 days to dispute, etc.

They couldn't get through via phone anyway seeing that I have Caller ID w/ Privacy Manager.

5. Cadillac408

Saar...

The letter was from a collection agency (Risk Management Alternatives, Inc) not MCI themselves.....sorry for the confusion.

The other agencies are:

Northland Group, Inc. for the Wards account (they were assigned this debt from Sherman Acquisition LLC).

California Financial Credit Accociation (CFCA) for the BofA account.

6. BluVegas

BluVegas Guest

Re: Saar...

Lock Your Doors & Windows!!! They coming ta get ya!!! LOL

7. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

MP

Say, I noticed an inquiry on one of my reports from Risk Management Alternatives. I have no idea who they are but they haven't bothered me other than being a hard inquiry. I'm going to have to dispute them off I think.

8. Cadillac408

Re: MP

The placed a hard inquiry on Equifax on 2/17/01. The collection letter was dated 3/10/01.

I"m sure you'll be getting your letter very soon.

9. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Send each of them a cease & desist letter. They can't contact you then. I had the same problem - when I started disputed, they started calling and sending letters again. After not hearing from any of them for 3 years! Just send the letter and they will leave you alone.

10. Cadillac408

What about my credit reports???? I don't want them to show up as an open collection!

11. F.F.M

F.F.M Guest

Talk to me Saar..... ;-)

About what you said earlier.......... "A validation letter has no legal effect other than with collection agencies. Sending one to MCI is useless (unless you think it'll scare them, which I doubt).

So, if someone wanted to write MCI. What type of letter should we send to the MCI/original creditor to show them we mean business....??????

12. KelTex

KelTex Guest

MCI-Risk Management Alternativ

Oh, yes. RMI, out of South Carolina. If you send them a validation letter, they will send you a word generated document of calls you supposedly made with MCI. This started for me in Oct 2000-I got a notice out of nowhere, shortly after I pulled my credit report of QSpace and found this there.

I noticed that my CAs started coming out of the woodwork as soon as I updated my address-either through QSpace or the CRAs. No proof, just highly coincidental correlation.

My problem was I have a cancelled check to pay this off, that differs from the original amount by about 1$ (somewhere along the line the CA added 40 bucks). This debt is from Oct. 1997. The check that I mention paid the last bill that I received.

So I C&D Risk Management, and began dealing w/MCI. That is when the fun started. Given some address in Earth City Missouri-their "Research" Department. Do a quick search on the net-there are a lot of people going through the same thing as us out there. I have now sent MCI two letters w/copies of the check, and gotten zero response. Last letter-mid Feb.

So, I guess that my next plan of action is to either let Junum handle this or to dispute with the CAs directly myself. This is only on my equifax.

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: MCI-Risk Management Altern

MP-$40. Hey Girl,

Risk Management was part of Equifax. They were just about to put a old cable bill on my report in 2/00. They sent me a letter when I started requesting my reports and disputing. I paid the small bill quickly, and it nevered appeared on my credit report. I quess our situation is similiar. Good Luck Girl. I know you can handle it. Unpaid bills do tend to haunt you until the 7 years are up. They can't sue you though b/c it sounds like the SOL is up, but they can sneak it on your report. If they do put it on your report make sure they dont reage the debt. But I hope it doesnot come to that. My bill was from 1997. Hope this helps.

smoochies,

roni