cashback vs. points

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Sep 2, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

in your opinions would it be better to go with say a AAdvantage bronze 1point per 2 dollars spent or go with straight 1 percent cash back card. I applied for the advantage gold world card and got approved now would prefer to have on that actually reports a limit as to not hurt my scores. Has to be a citi card but open to any other recommendations:)

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SPEND $50,000 FOR ONE "FREE" TICKET
    $50,000 X 50%=25,000 MILES

$50,000 X .01=$500 (YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET 2 TICKETS FOR THAT PRICE)
    DEPENDING ON DESTINATION...AND YOUR HOME AIRPORT

I did the "UP-TO" 1.00% deal with DISCOVERCARD and went back to UNITED VISA and AMEX DELTA...I "THINK" I am doing better with miles...and I can get many double miles...triple miles...11 X MILES...SIGN-UP BONUS MILES...

3. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

so I should go with 1% cash back then? It is with citi and I have heard they don't do double miles so...

my amex gold does so I am keeping it, but do I go for the bronze AA or 1% cash back as my backup to my amex?

4. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

Cards that offer miles/points may give you a higher reward if you can sell the tickets or do use them (not everybody flies regularly). OTOH, card issuers and airlines can change the reward terms anytime and thus devalue your points. A cash rewards card that pays out regularly, i.e. monthly, quarterly eliminates/lowers this risk.

Personally I have Principal Visa (1.25% cash), Citi Dividends (1% cash), Advanta Business 2% (cash), Amex CostCo Business (exchanging membership points for SWA tickets), Citi AAdvantage Business (AA miles) and wife just applied for Chase PerfectCard (1% cash). As you can see, I prefer cash but use miles/points card as well.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: cashback vs. points

Trade for the 1% card then...

BUT ALWAYS PAY IN FULL 100% OF THE TIME...EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BT IT GONE...

6. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

welll I have my amex gold for points for flights, my chase stockback to carry balances with 1% cashback and an apr of 6.99 it is great and amex optima plat at 8.24% just in case chase decides to send rates up.
    And BofA plat for their great BT rates. And I was going to use the AAdvantage world gold card for points too but added to my amex annual fee it is too much a year for me and the reason I pay for the amex is because of all their double points offers, great hotel offers all over the country, transfer to any airline, BVG, and numerous other things, so I guess I will have them convert it to the dividend plat select card, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

7. zerodown

zerodown Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Citi cash back pays out only in $100 chunks.

I really liked their rewards program for their diamond cards. For me a $50 coupon at Home Depot, Best Buy,... is just as good as cash. Plus price protection and $100 coupons for $90 make this a really great card. Looks like they have double points and 0% for 6-months special going. http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/diamond/index.htm

8. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

that's a great recommendation, chiles and best buy are the 2 places I go out the most(can redeem for gift cards on both) and this card would allow me to pull my money out faster than at 100 dollar increments which may take a while. Does this card report a limit or is it no pre set spending limit, I couldn't find it on the site?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

:)

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i like amex blue. $2500 spent = $25 GC, i've gotten a few so far ;)

i forgot about my cash rebate card till i got a 4.91 credit for last year lol. Woohoo.

Gifts are always more memorable than cash, in the consumers eyes.

Oh well. I need 3-4000 miles for my free amex flight, i've spent like $180 on the card and have like 21500 points (most of the expenditure is the $85 yearly fee). I spose when i renew i'll be getting the companion ticket or something too.

Time to do some travelling.

blue rewards and paypal visacheck card seem the fastest rewarding cards in my life.