Catalog & Merchant Cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by myname1001, Feb 20, 2007.

1. myname1001

myname1001 Active Member

Otherwise you would of listed links.

Unless you're no better of a searcher than I, and I am not as good of a searcher as I'd like to be =X

Owned n00bs =X

2. magnus351

magnus351 Active Member

Then you just should of asked for links instead of laying out your master plan. You would of saved a lot of people the time and energy they wasted on you.

3. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

This is an "advice" site. If you ask a question here, you will get advice, whether you want it or not. If your question implies you are going down a path that is likely to lead you into a world of hurt, you should expect advice not to do that.

If you went to an AA meeting and asked for the locations of the closest liquor stores, what do you think you would get?

4. jasonpot

jasonpot Member

This may be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. The crap you get from those rip off establishments is cheap and overpriced. Even re-selling it at a discount does not guarantee will sell because it is so overpriced and cheap to begin with. Plus, many of these catalog cards don't even report, so what's the point?

It's a bad plan. You're set to lose money no matter what, maybe a lot more than you plan and for no real upside and lots of downside. You're better of using the money that you would be set to lose and open secured credit cards if building your credit is your primary goal.

5. cap1sucks

cap1sucks Well-Known Member

I don't hate anyone including debt collectors. I haven't even responded to your question and I'm not going to in this post either. This post is to voice my opinion that it is useless to try to advise those who don't want advice about anything at all.

This person asked for information which it appears that nobody here has possession of. So why bother to offer obviously unwanted advice only to have it fall on what amounts to deaf ears? Waste of time and bandwidth accomplishes nothing.

6. jasonpot

jasonpot Member

Here's a link to a few. I don't see them mentioning that they report.

http://www.creditwanted.com/category_70_Catalog_Cards.html

You could also try Crownjewelers.com. No credit check and at least they report. All their jewelry is junk though, but you might be able to sell it for $0.25 on the dollar.

7. jasonpot

jasonpot Member

8. ontrack

Here is this site's alert section. Although a bit outdated, it has examples of what you had better watch out for.
    http://consumers.creditnet.com/Discussions/f-credit-alerts-22.html/

And you should also steer clear of the advance fee loan scams, where the scammers (often based in Canada but using U.S. addresses) advertise "loans", possibly for $5k to $10K, but require up-front "application fees" or "insurance" payments of "only" $1K to $2K that must be wired first, usually strung out in the form of several smaller payments so you don't know what you are getting into. The loan is of course "denied", but, too bad, there is no refund of the fees, if you can even contact them again.

Then again, you might be better off with an advance fee "loan". You only lose $2K, and don't have the debt from the loan actually going thru, since it won't go thru.

There is just no end to people's inventiveness.

9. myname1001

myname1001 Active Member

lol.

I'm getting $30,000+ paid off on 5 diff cards in 5 months for the price of about $8000-$10,000, then doing it again when the limits increase to $15,000-$25,000 on each card.

Then I'm paying off $50,000+ spread out on 5 diff cards in less than 6 months for the price of $10,000-$12,000.

I'm gaining, not losing.

All of them report, the ones I'm getting at least.

"what if it doesn't sell" isn't a realistic question either. Think about it.

If I only had one shot to sell it, one listing, one day or one week, then yes it might be realistic that I don't sell it.

Its not though.

lol.

10. myname1001

myname1001 Active Member

LOL, all of those people are complete IDIOTS.

IT ISN'T A RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They get a card in the mail and think it is a regular credit card (((Which is their fault for not correctly reading the information they send))) and then label it a scam and ripoff for no other reason than because they made a mistake and didn't read the information they sent.

I got a $7500 limit catalog card in the mail from first national - look online, thousands of people (idiots) are reporting it as a scam "Got this card in the mail, only works for the catalog! Beware!" -- stupid idiots, it says right on the freakin' information packet that the card is for the catalogs only --- even says it on the website.

It isn't a scam, it isn't a rip off -- it is called a catalog/merchant credit card.

Just because some idiot thought it was a credit card and then found out it could only be used for catalogs doesn't make it a scam - it makes people idiots.

And what is this I hear about "Junk" ???

Those products in the catalog are the same products being sold at other places.

Go look at a plasma TV in the catalog then find the same model and make of it on a different site or different market. It isn't like they overcharge hundreds of dollars on each item.

Bunch of idiots I tell you, bunch of freakin' idiots.

The cards could do a little better making it obvious that the cards are only for the catalogs, but other than that, it is a good way to rebuild credit because their is no interest on any of the purchases.

And I found some that report to all 3 major credit b's.

Look online, some of them report every 30 days instead of every 3 months like the $7500 limit first national card I got.

Thanks for listing some cards though.

Anyone else find any?

11. magnus351

magnus351 Active Member

wow. you really need to learn to not be so closed minded. people on this board are trying to give you their opinions. you can choose to ignore their advice by saying thanks or no thanks. it is very immature to call people idiots and haters because they don't say what you want to hear.

now onto your business plan. there is no such thing as a guaranteed sale. there is a chance that your merch might not sell right away. in fact they might be able to find the same merch cheaper elsewhere. since you are not buying wholesale you will not have a margin to compete with other outlets. you are also going to be hit with the membership fee from the cards. that will affect your bottom line. you are also going to lose money on shipping. your business model has flaws. and as i said in an earlier post there's a good chance it will come back and bite you.

there are better ways to build your credit than this plan. but that's my opinion. and if that makes me a hater. then i probably am one.

12. ontrack

"It isn't a scam, it isn't a rip off "

Many of these catalog cards have been sold as "major credit cards", "VISA cards", or "MasterCharge cards", with "guaranteed $xxx credit limit", by telemarketers hyping them to lists of consumers with bad credit, in exchange for substantial up-front fees. THAT is what makes many of them a scam, even if some fine print somewhere on a web site, separate from the sales pitch, fully discloses what the card is. They have been used as props in a con game, and the consumer is stuck with a useless card usable only on overpriced merchandise, and either a couple hundred debited from his bank account, or a similar amount as a starting balance on this "major credit card".

13. ontrack

Bottom line on your plan:

Look at your return on investment, and weigh risk.

Best case, you are out several thousand, obtaining no more than most of us could accomplish in a year anyway.

Worst case, you are out whatever you put into it, or worse if you like to fall for nigerian scam payers.

If you have no credit history at all, a credit union account and a secured credit union card (or even a legitimate captive store or gas card) would get you going, at no cost or risk, and in a year you would have 2 or 3 other accounts in good standing, plus the option of using that lender relationship for other borrowing such as car loans.

If you have actual bad history, you would have to deal with that either way.

A pile of recent revolving accounts of the same type would not buy you significantly different FICO scores. And actually using the cards to their limits, churning thousands of purchases thru them, is NOT necessary to get their positive history effect on FICO.