CCB wants my 26 cents!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rcb, Jun 23, 2000.

1. rcb

rcb Guest

I recently closed my CCB Silver Visa account (I also had a CCB Mastercard, but closed it 6 months ago). I had had the card for almost three years. NEVER a late payment, never an over the limit, never anything. I was probably the most outstanding customer they've ever had (either that or they forgot about me and forgot to screw me).

Anyways, I made my final payment and also received a credit for some merchandise I had returned. Low and behold, I had a balance of 26 cents. When I called to close the account, the beeeeeaaaacchhh on the phone told me that, although I closed the account, I needed to send the 26 cents to them! Can you believe that? They want me to spend 33 cents on a stamp and a nickel on a check just to send them their stinking 26 cents!

What pond scum. Oh, well. Who cares. I'm rid of CCB.

Bye, bye, pond scum!

2. JP

JP Guest

Send the money and close the chapter on this book.

Regards,
    JP

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Bite your tongue and send them the damn money or you will get his with a late fee. In fact send them 78 cents and then demand a refund if the account is closed. They must do so within seven days per federal law. It will cost them far more to process the payment and then process a refund and mail you a check than 26 cents.

Incidentally, most banks will write off (not charge-off) balances less than $1. It's not even worth it to them to process they payment.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member

J. Edgar is right..this is a perfect oportunity to screw them.

Here's what you do:

1. Send a letter to close your account.

2. Send a dollar in payment if you have not done so..

3. They owe you on the order of 75 cents.

4. Send a letter, to chief customer service scumbag Michael Shaw, demanding a refund. MAKE SURE you copy the DE Bank Commission, and that will get them to respond.

5. CCB will be forced to cut you a check. It's the law.

Here are the addresses..

Consumer Complaints
    State of Delaware
    Office of The State Bank Commissioner
    555 E. Loockerman Street, suite 210
    Dover, DE 19901

Mr. Michael F. Shaw
    Executive Relations Manager
    Cross Country Bank
    800 Delaware Avenue
    Wilmington, DE 19801

Mention the cemetery across the street that you have heard some of their people might end up in if a viet Nam vet goes nuts, and you will make them wet their pants...

PLEASE do it...and please let us know the results...

5. BOB

BOB Guest

rcb, do what J.Edgar and Don suggested, it
    will piss them off so bad its funny. If I
    had the chance to do it I would in a heart beat. And yes please let us know what happens.

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Just send them their damned money, but have a little fun doing it. While it might cost you a few bucks to do it, you could take 26 of the crustiest pennies you can find, soak them in stale urine for a couple days, and let them dry. Then take 26 #10 envelopes and drop one penny in each envelope. Seal each envelope shut with strong tape.

Purchase a large box. Place all the envelopes on the bottom and fill the box to the top with those annoying styrofoam thingies that look like peanuts. Then take a whole roll of duct tape or extra-strong strapping tape, and wrap the box, securing all openings. Take it to the post office and have it shipped to them--return receipt requested.

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

LOL! You're a bad,bad girl Doris...........I love it!
    :)

8. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I would just add that if you wish to pursue this course of action that you make sure that whatever small payment you send them results in at least a credit on your account of more than $1.00. Many Credit Card agreements allow the issuer to merely keep small overpayments. This is legal.

9. Stormie

Stormie Guest

It's hard to believe that they want 26 cents. But if you do not pay them they will charge you a late fee, usually 20-25 dollars. Banks do require payment in the form of check/money order/cashiers check. But it would be fun to see their faces with the method Doris described. I can see it now ! Lol Good luck ! Stormie

10. rcb

rcb Guest

Too late. I received my statment yesterday and they had an 'Account Adjustment' for the 26 cents, which brought it down to a $0.00 balance.

It was a nice thought, though! :)