Ccb

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kat, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I sent a validation letter (my own version) to CCB on April 23rd. Today I received a letter from them dated April 23rd. I figure this response must be from the Planetfeedback complaint on April 5th. Anyway, they state that my balance is valid and that they contacted Tate & Kirlin, "who you made payments to us through". I paid through NCO, is this the same company?? They verified that I settled for less than the full amount leaving this balance and my report wouldn't change. My reports show a balance of $45 with the notation that this is a charge off settle for less than full amount. I'm confused, if I settled can they still show a balance?

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

No. If you settle, they can not show a balance. That is the purpose of a 'settlement', to eliminate what you owe.

roni

3. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Thanks Roni, do I dispute with the CRA's again then and insist they show a 0 balance? I've disputed this thing mulitple times with all three and it always comes back verified. So is it up to the CRA's now to report it correctly, and when they "verify", threaten to sue them?

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

that is almost right. in your case I would request verification once again, and if they come back with a balance showing, I actually would go down and file a small claims suit for violation of the fcra. You might get the entire thing deleted. But do you have the guts?

roni

5. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Ya, I got the guts!! Cross Country Bank are such crooks. I never wanted to get out of paying anything I owe, and when this happened a couple of years ago I didn't know my options. This board has taught me a lot. I have played their little games now and it's time to get serious.

6. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Showing Of A Balance

Kat:
    Your concern depends on the issues negotiated, and whether or not the entire balance (as agreed) was in fact paid. Iâ??m not suggesting you didnâ??t pay in full, only that such would logically be a requirement. The balance showing could also be (and Iâ??m being hypothetical) as a result of CCBâ??s systems, not having been updated. Granted, we are talking about CCB here; which as most on this board can tell you, are some pretty shoddy hombres (boy is THAT an understatement)!

Perhaps if you detailed the terms of your settlement, we could shed more light on the matter? Because unless those terms dictated certain parameters, CCB may be within compliance to show a balance. Personally, I tend to think they are (within compliance that is) or they wouldnâ??t have sent a clarification letter. (Creditorâ??s donâ??t make a practice of committing stands to paper that could come back to bite their rump later.) Having stated that, however, bear in mind Iâ??ve not the benefit of considering your negotiated terms.

7. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Re: Showing Of A Balance

I see what you're saying. When this happend a couple of years ago I didn't understand about negotiating. NCO called and said that the creditor would accept a lesser amount; resulting in the $45 balance. I just accepted figuring it would put an end to the calls. Boy if I knew then what I know now....
    All this over $45, I would have just payed the darn thing then if I knew this balance was gonna have the affect it has now. You might be correct, they probably wouldn't have put this in writting if they weren't within their rights. Should I just pay them and make sure they update the credit reports?

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

===If you do make sure they remove the neg> 1St.

9. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I don't think CCB is desperate enough for $45 to delete my negs. I'm sure they'll take my money without doing that, of course it won't hurt to ask.

10. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Discretion & Valor

Kat:
    Well, they say â??discretion is the better part of valorâ?? so you may want to consider paying the $45. Although, a supplemental tactic would be to challenge the CBR hit later; sometime after about a year when CCB would consider it a much lower priority.

Correspondingly, you could take a shot at disputing around late December of this year. (End of year closing takes precedence over most other activities, which means CCB may not have time to respond.) Since CCBâ??s asset recovery division handles disputes, the majority of their staff will be busy handling year-end stuff (like collecting on delinquent Christmas/Holiday charges and balancing books). This is worth a shot, but is certainly speculative.

If you get a response you could consider Roniâ??s suggestion and threaten suit, although small claims doesnâ??t cut much weight â?? other than nuisance value. All in all, paying the $45 is a matter of discretion relative to time and oneâ??s credit objectives. So before paying, make certain thatâ??s truly in your best interest in relation to your credit rehab goals. If paying isnâ??t going to provide immediate benefit, then perhaps waiting is more appropriate?

11. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Re: Discretion & Valor

My main goal right now is to have this show as a 0 balance. I'm trying to reopen an old Citibank account that I have and they said due to the fact that I'm showing delinquent, they can't do this. I haven't been delinquent on anything in the past two years, thinking the Cross Country was settled, but being that it is reporting with this balance it looks like I am delinquent. Maybe I will pay, get this to show 0 balance, have my Citibank reopened, and then dispute like you said. Maybe after it is "paid in full" in CCB's eyes it'll be pushed to the back burner and won't get verified.

Thanks