Charge account VS Another Bank CC

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dinob12, Jul 17, 2001.

1. dinob12

dinob12 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Recently I stated that I had 4 credit cards..2 providian accts with only $300 limits and FCNB with a $900 limit and a CCB with a 350 limit..Well my dad was going to add me to his DMB card which has a limit of $3000 which would look good as far as Credit Limits are concerned and then i would cancel my CCB card...

Just found out my mother has a Target card with a $200 limit and 42 months of perfect payments..I was thinking would'nt be wiser to go on the target card to add some age to my CC history ??? And I do not currently own a Charge card and I hear that you need at least one to help your score...But the limit is lousy.....Any suggestions...?????

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with the $3000 limit card as long as you are fairly sure that your Dad (and you) will have a very low usage of the card or at least keep the balance below 20%. Otherwise, the age of the other could help you and your mother could probably get them to raise the limit to at least $500.

The reason for my opinion is that the debt to c/l ratios account for 30 to 35 percent of your score whereas the age isn't weighted as heavily. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

3. dinob12

Thank you so much for the info...

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T ADD A $200 CREDIT LINE...EVEN ON A DARE!!!
    3.5 years...DEMAND a credit line increase ($1,000?)...then add it...
    Some cards give you no benefit being an AU...to get any benefit...must be JOINT...

If your DESPERATE...DO THE DMB...

5. dinob12

I would definetely go on the cards as a joint user..As a matter of fact I think I am going to go on both of them as a joint and close my Cross Country Bank account because that only has a $350 limit...After that I would have 4 bank cards and 1 charge account and just let them age...Thanks for the info

6. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I was not aware that a AU has any pull on a CRA.

If memory serves me right DMB does not or is very slow in reporting.

I am surprise that Target with a $200 CL and 41 months of perfect payment has not received an increase. I think someone here posted that after 4 months Target raise the CL from $200 to $500.

Back to your question: Why not apply for the Target card yourself. You have the CC as reference.

Best regards,
    Sam