charge off now sold to CA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tangyloveb, Aug 8, 2003.

1. tangyloveb

tangyloveb Member

I have a question. Years ago, I had a very small credit card account, <$200, but lost my job and could not pay it down. It was charged off in 1997. Now, today ~ I get a bill from a collection agency stating that I owe 1007.03 to FNB of Marin, but on my credit report, it is listed as charged off. My credit isn't in the best of shape, but I was under the impression that once the 7 years went past - that it would fall off my report. Now that it's been sold to another agency, will that start the 7 years over again? I have not responded to this collection agency, but I'm not sure how to handle this. Help?

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*I was under the impression that once the 7 years went past -- that it would fall off my report.
    2*will that start the 7 years over again?
    3*I have not responded to this collection agency, but I'm not sure how to handle this.
    tangy love b
    ================
    1*7 years will be 2004
    2 NO !
    3 is sol up yet.
    You could validate!

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

3. tangyloveb

tangyloveb Member

Yes it's up, in Texas the SOL is 4 years. The OC charged it off in 2000. The amount has more than doubled. Even if the secondary charged 18%, that doesn't add up. So, I should send a validation letter? I just didn't know if ~ since it's a secondary, if it would stay on for 7 years, or if the CA that purchases the debt has the right to put it on for an additional 7 years. Any other thoughts? Thanks so much!

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's up, in Texas the SOL is 4 years. The OC charged it off in 2000. The amount has more than doubled. Even if the secondary charged 18%, that doesn't add up. So,
    1*-I should send a validation letter?
    2* I just didn't know if ~ since it's a secondary, if it would stay on for 7 years, or if 3*the CA that purchases the debt has the right to put it on for an additional 7 years.
    tangyloveb =========
    -----------------------------------------------
    1*Validate
    2* 7 years total no matter how many times it changes hands/

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''