Charge Off Question....Advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cindy, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Folks,

I have two charge-offs that are reported by all three CRAs. One occurred in 1994 for $800 (to AMEX), and one in 1995 for $2800 (to First USA). I'd really like to mitigate this situation. In y'alls opinion, should I:

1. Negotiate directly with the original credit grantors, in hopes that a payment plan or lump sum settlement can be worked out? Do credit grantors normally accept payment plans, if reasonable (I'm talking $100-$200/month here. I prefer to pay my debts, if legitimate).

2. Negotiate with the collection agency that tried to collect the $2800 in 1998, but has done nothing since?

3. Let sleeping dogs lie in both cases?

I had continuing credit trouble after these two instances culminating with a Repo at the beginning of 1997. After that, I cut up my remaining credit cards, and bought a used car. I paid off the remaining cards I had at the end of 1998, and started rebuilding credit with a First Premier VISA in Sep 1998. Since then my payment record has been spotless, but I still languish in sub-prime hell (I now have a Cap One, and a First National card as well....woohoo!, so hence my excitement at the Citibank thing). As I mentioned above, any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have already signed up for junum.com.

Cheers, and TIA,
    Cindy