Charge Offs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bhdunbar, Jul 16, 2001.

1. bhdunbar

bhdunbar Active Member

I have three charge offs
    FirstUSA
    Dillards
    First Premier Bank

I have read that other people have had collection agencies for there charge offs but none of mine were ever sent to collection agencies.

I desperately want these off and was wondering if I should write to the credit card company or the CRA first?

Also the Dillard's account was paid in full after the charge off.

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

bh,
    There are a couple of us like you :) I've been working on the same problem for months.
    Definately dispute with the CRAs first.
    You might get lucky and they'll remove them. Working with a creditor who has already been paid off, is tough. If the other 2 charge offs are not paid and haven't gone to collection, you may wake the "sleeping giant" by disputing. But if you really want them gone, its your best first step. If they do verify, you can try to negotiate with the creditor to pay xx cents on the dollar for full settlement and removal of the negative (make sure its in writing).

I first disputed both of my paid chgoffs with all 3 CRA's. Experian and Equifax verifed them, TU removed them. I've since sent a modified validation letter to both creditors, asking them to prove the accounts are mine, not just that I'm in their computer files. Both responded via phone. I left them late night messages, saying I was out of town alot, and prefered to handle this in writing. The one sent me a fraud form to fill out. The other sent me a letter asking me to please call, duh! I'm in the process of drafting 2 more letters (based on some hints from Bill Bauer). I also plan on disputing them again as soon as my last round of disputes are finished.

3. bhdunbar

bhdunbar Active Member

What did you tell the CRA's...I have know idea what to write them!

I know that the accounts are mine but would rather avoid paying. I hope that they are old enough that I might slip one by them.

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

My 2 chgoffs were also my accts. They both were inaccurately reported on my CRs, although I disputed them as not mine. There are a lot of dispute letters on the board, I use a simple variation of one:
    -------------------------
    Experian - NCAC
    PO Box 9595
    Allen, TX 75013
    Attn: Consumer Relations

March 20, 2001

RE: Complaint Letter to Delete Inaccurate Information

I formally request that the following inaccurate items be immediately investigated. They must be removed in order to show my true credit history, as these items are inaccurate, and should not be on my report. My identification and personal information is enclosed.

1) Discover - Acct# 9999â?¦ - NOT MY ACCOUNT REMOVE
    2) Bigbank - Acct# 9999â?¦ - NOT MY ACCOUNT REMOVE

Please notify me when the items have been deleted. You may send an updated copy of my credit report to the below address. Also, please send me names and addresses of individuals you contacted so I may follow up.

Sincerely,

Your Name
    12345 Your Road
    City, State 99999
    SS# 999-99-9999 BORN 9-99-9999
    -----------------
    Good Luck!