Chase decline-Help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by durango444, Sep 28, 2001.

1. durango444

durango444 Well-Known Member

Last week after I moved into my new house I applied for a Chase Continental Airlines Platinum Visa. Today I received a declined letter.
    Reason: Too many recent inquiries.
    Well all the inquiries are related to shopping for my mortgage.
    Does anyone have a number I can call to have them reconsider?

Thanks.

2. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

3. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Durango,they can see that your inquiries are from mortgage brokers,so what is your question?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IF THEY ARE COUNTING ALL THE MORTGAGE INQUIRIES AS SEPERATE INQUIRES, INSTEAD OF ONE...THAT IS WRONG...

5. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the same thing happens with inquiries and applying for credit when you go to a car dealer and they shop your loan to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

I don't think the computer can tell that you've been shopping for a mortgage or a car loan. It just sees a bunch of recent inquiries.

Write through PFB and ask for a human to review your credit report for reconsideration.

6. durango444

I don't think a human reviewed my app. An automated system probably saw the inquiries and said no. My belief is the inquiries are looked at as totally seperate. This idea that since they are all mortgage related they count as one is horse sh!t. I watched my Creditexpert score drop from 736 to 724 because of these inquiries. Also, I had two seperate inquiries on all three bureau's two day's before closing. Those Aholes were shopping around at the last minute to try and make some more money. I'm pissed. I just want to speak to a person, the right person, to get this reconsidered.

durango

7. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I wish I had a number to give you. I totally agree with you. Car dealers are notorious for doing the same thing with shopping your deal.

When you get a number, go for it. You got a mortgage, you definitely deserve a prime card.

Good luck!

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Why waste time on the telephone!!!! Forget a Number!!!!!

Why recreate the WHEEL!!!!!!

AS I stated earlier, Maria and myself have used PFB SUCCESSFULLY with Chase after an initial decline.

Plead your case via PFB and add the quotes of how inquires for a mortgage and auto loans within a certain period of time, count as 1 inquiry.

This will solve your problems!!!!!! They do listen and respond when receiving correspondence via PFB.

9. durango444

Reshod,
    Thanks, you are right. I have used PFB in the past with Amex and it worked out well. Who was it at Chase that you wrote to, and who responded to you?

Thanks,
    durango

10. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

I wrote to Chase because they declined me for a standard card, reason: an old collection from 1995. It falls off in 3 months.

I told them, that it was absurd to decline someone for a paid collection from over 6 years ago. I have a collection from when I was 17 in high school.

I know, I know. I wasnt very responsible back then with my finances.

But they gave me another chance and sent me the card a few weeks later.

I also threatened contact my state and local representatives, for an overhaul of the credit industry. And I used unofficial influence, that I will not discuss on this board. But it worked, so GREAT.:):):):):):):):)

11. marci

marci Well-Known Member

In addition to Reshod and Marie, I also just got a card this week from Chase after being denied last week for too many inquiries. I was approved less than a week after my PlanetFeedback letter was sent. Here's a copy of my letter. You are welcome to use it, but you will need to MODIFY it to fit your situation. I had a real gripe with Citibank that may or may not be true for you. So, if you choose to use it, don't send it as is.

Marci

TO:
    William Harrison Jr., CEO
    Chase Manhattan Bank
    270 Park Avenue, Floor 12
    New York, NY 10017-2014

Marci

Dear Mr. Harrison,

I hope that you will help me with a problem I've encountered with Chase Manhattan Bank. The problem concerns a denial for a recent Chase Classic Visa application, which I'd like to have reconsidered. I applied for the card on _________, 2001 and my application reference number is xxxxxxxxxx. My name is ____________, my social security number is xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and my date of birth is xx-xx-xxxx. I am writing to ask you to review my application carefully, and reconsider granting me a Chase Visa card for the reasons shown below.

I want to do business with Chase Manhattan Bank, which has been highly spoken of by my friends for years. I was hoping to begin a banking relationship with Chase by applying for the Chase Classic Visa card. I fully expected to receive the card, and I called today to review the status of my application. I was stunned to hear that my application was denied. I was even more stunned to learn the reason for the denial. I was told that my Trans Union report had "too many recent inquiries" and that was the sole reason for my denial.

Although I recognize that credit inquiries are a "matter of record", I ask you to consider the extenuating circumstances surrounding my particular inquiries and reconsider my application for the Chase card.

First, there are four Citibank inquiries on my Trans Union report reflecting ONE credit card account. I do not know why Citibank chose to place three additional "hard" inquiries on my report after the initial opening of my account, especially when they could have gleaned the same credit information by placing harmless "account review" (or "soft") inquries instead. I disagree with this practice, precisely because it is unneccesarily harmful to the customer, and I would not want that business practice held against me by Chase. I am asking Chase to disregard three Citibank inquiries placed in _______ 2001 on my credit report.

Second, I have credit card accounts with Citibank and Bank of America, but I want to have an account with Chase Manhattan as well. Because I expect to move to a large city soon, I am deciding which of the large, reputable deposit banks I want work with in the long term to meet all of my financial needs (credit, savings, investment, etc...). I want to begin a relationship with Chase Manhattan for these reasons. My interest in Chase is high because of the great reputation your bank has.

I hope that a credit denial based only on "too many inquiries" would not keep Chase from being my preferred bank. If the denial stands, I will take my business to other banks and I probably won't ever consider Chase in the future again.

Please reconsider my credit card application carefully and approve me for the Chase Visa card. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I look forward to your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

12. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Your letter to Chase is fantastic Marci!

13. marci

marci Well-Known Member

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

out law em

15. lbrown59

Do away wirh them!

16. lbrown59

It is more like a Rcord that dosen't Matter.

Inquiries just don't belong on reports period.

17. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

Hey, Durango

To answer your original question, the phone number on the back of the denial letter is 1-302-758-3830; M-F 8a-10:30p, Sat 9a-8p EST.

18. durango444

Re: Hey, Durango

I'm thinking of calling tommarrow. If I'm not satisfied I will go the PFB route. What do you think?

Thanks.

19. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Hey, Durango

toll free :)

1-800-648-5588 (chase credit dept.)