Chase Manhattan Platinum Maste

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Credit Guy, Aug 5, 2000.

1. Credit Guy

Credit Guy Guest

I got a pre-approved offer for a Platinum Mastercard from Chase Manhattan. However, it doesn't really seem like a Platinum card. The intro rate is 9.99%, but the rate after is 22.99%!!!!!!!!!!!! All of my standard/classic level credit cards have better APRs than that. What is going on here??? I am definitely not going to apply.

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

RE: Chase Manhattan Platinum M

Chase's rate does go this high. A lot of prime lenders are using the 6 interest rate hikes by the Fed in the past year to charge rates as outrageous as the Providians. The only chance we consumers have is to use those intro rates to move balances around.
    That is why it is more important than ever to have as many good lines as possible.
    Chase and a couple of other lenders have been sending offers that extend through the length of the loan.
    Play the credit card shuffle.

Profit from the experience.

http://www.creditsense.com

3. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Of the 3 credit cards that I have: Amex Blue, Aria, and FleetBoston, the one issued by Providian (Aria) is actually the lowest APR of 7.99% fixed. My FleetBoston is also 7.99% but they charge me $35/year membership.

I'm not really sure why a lot of people think Providian charges outrageous APR's.

4. T

T Guest

APR for Aria platinum is 14.99% now.

5. Not here

Not here Guest

My platinum aria 12.99 %, speaking of the platinum thye started me at 5K and I have had for a year, so far no increases, anyone else either got one or didn't get one??

6. CardReport

CardReport Guest

Providian started out with a strong focus on the "sub-prime" market, which it still maintains. The idea of the Aria card was to expand into the higher-quality, lower-risk market.

The APRs on their cards can vary greatly. In the sup-prime segment, Providian may charge as much as 23% or even more.

--
    CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference
    http://www.cardreport.com/
    Everything You Need To Know About Credit And Debt

7. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

I also have an Aria with a 5K limit. I called Aria to request a credit line increase. They said that is the highest line you can have with the Aria card unless in the beginning you had balance transfers to the card which exceeded your initial limit. Hope that makes sense.

8. Not here

Not here Guest

Really, well thanks for the information

9. Stormie

Stormie Guest

It sounds like you got in on a great rate on your aria/providian card. Is that a varible or fixed rate. I know since the prime rate has changed alot of credit card issuers are raising the interest rates.

10. Stormie

Stormie Guest

Thats what I've heard, but it seems that Providians Aria division has gotten a bad rap recently here, for a variety of reasons, i guess the main one was outrageous interest, and annual fee's on some cards. But this is the first I've heard you could only get 5K on their aria Platinum card. That some how deosn't sound correct.

11. Not here

Not here Guest

My rate was 12.99% fixed, but I swear they advertised credit limits up to 100K, maybe they changed their policy????

12. me

me Well-Known Member

My APR with Chase is variable - prime + 1.4%

13. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

I have the Aria Premium Planitum which they no longer offer (I assume because of increasing prime rate)... at 7.99% fixed.

Anyone else that has a Aria (any version) who has a 5K limit call them and ask them for an increase. Let us know if 5K is the upper limit.

14. me too (Ri

me too (Ri Guest

I also have the prime+1.4% rate, but on a $1000 Classic MasterCard from Chase. The 22% rate may be some sort of penalty rate, which they impose for 2 late payments in a 6 month period. My rate was offered as long term unless payments were made late.