Chase Platinum Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, May 26, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have this card (regular card) but I noticed that there are a bunch of these like the Shell Platinum card and the Continental Airlines Platinum card. I was just wondering if it's possible to convert from one Platinum product to another? I'm thinking about converting my regular card to the airlines card. Does anyone know if Chase will carry over the credit line and history from the old to the new account?

Thanks very much.

2. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

I don't know but the continental card has a large anual fee

3. steve

steve Well-Known Member

How much is the fee?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Platinum
    (6000 Bonus
    OnePass Miles
    Upon Approval and
    payment of $65
    annual fee.)

Classic
    (4000 Bonus OnePass
    Miles Upon approval and
    payment of $45 annual
    fee.)

5. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Thanks George, do you know if Chase will let me do an account transfer from my regular Platinum to the Continental Platinum card without a hard inquiry?

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WOULD ASSUME SO...
    Just call and ask...

"CAN I TRADE CARDS WITH-OUT ANY QUESTIONS OR CREDIT REPORTS" ???

7. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

As silly as it may seem, Chase may and probably will pull a new hard inquiry if you switch cards.They did w/me.I was able to get them to remove it but it took 2 months and it was not my idea of fun.

VJ

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I've got a Plat. Shell MC ($7.5k now at 14.9) and a Plat. Visa ($15k at 5.9 - they keep giving me new "intro" rates -- I love them!)

When I asked about combining, the rep. I spoke with a few months back said they had to be the same card (Visa to Visa, MC to MC).

Then again, why upset the apple cart (I told myself) - I'll keep 'em and use the MC for purchases (free gas) and the Visa for Bal Xfrs (since they aren't charging me for xfrs).

I'd just go ahead and apply for either one, based on your needs. Remember, it takes 20k miles to get a free ticket - and you have to wait until you've charged ALL of it to get your reward. If you fly CO, then it adds up quickly. If you don't, that same $20k in charges could be a few hundred bucks in free gas at Shell.

Use 'em for your best benefit-
    mj

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

UNITED IS 25,000
    ISN'T CONTINENTAL THE SAME???

10. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I think 20,000 miles gets you a round trip ticket with restrictions while 25,000 miles gets you an unrestricted round trip ticket. The main reason I'm seriously considering this card is because you can combine the miles with the ones you get from the Continental Frequent Flyer program. I also find that Continental offers some of the best rates so this looks like a good combo for me (good rates + miles by flying and miles by charging).

I was thinking about going for an AMEX Gold with Membership Rewards to get the ability to combine frequent flyer miles with earned miles, but the total annual fee for that comes to $75 + $40 = $115 which is almost double of the Chase card ($65) and AMEX isn't accepted everywhere.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DELTA AND UNITED FLY OUT OF DENVER...CONTINENTAL BASICALLY GONE.

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Steve - I'd rethink that if you travel anywhere from "moderate" level to "road warrior" level.

The Amex Rewards Plus card does cost a little more, but since it's non-revolving, there's no interest (or limits).

The 2x points during the first year at travel partners (all airlines and hotels on the mem. rewards program) really adds up -- 1.5x after the 1st year isn't bad either.

WIth mem. rewards points you can xfer them directly to a program (like Starwood, Hilton, Marriortt, Priority Club -- or Continental, Delta) or you can cash them in for Amex rewards (they have cruises, hotel nights, upgrades, etc.). I still like Diners because they're "universal" but Amex does have a good number of partners AND the "accelerators" like 2x at grocery stores (sometimes) as well as the Gold Rewards Plus bonus.

A FEW OTHER THINGS ... that may sway you -- buyer protection (you break it/it never arrives/etc.) covers anything you buy with the card. BEST VALUE GUARANTEE is unbelievable - find it cheaper, they reimburse you. All it took for me to get a $200 check was to fax a few sheets and wait 30 days. That paid the annual fee for almost 2 years!!

I like Chase - don't get me wrong, they offer some iunbeliavably low rates for bal. transfers and a high level of service- but if you want to get a boat-load of points quickly, and get awesome service and value add-ons, look to the Rewards Plus gold card 1st.

13. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Steve - I forgot to add- I don't think you get bonuses for charging CO airfare on the CO card from Chase- 2x in 1st year and 1.5x in future years on Amex Rewards Plus Gold. That should make up for the additional $85/year on Rewards+ Gold (note, you also get 5 additional cards for that fee, and you can register all Amex cards into membership rewards - including any corporate cards that are eligible).

As for Amex not being accepted everywhere -- I'd give you that on Diners (it's for travel, so I understand that and use it that way) -- but Amex? There's very VERY few places I can't use it (Stop & Shop is the only one I can think of- and I just got a letter from Amex asking me for some more details, I think they're making a pitch to Stop & Shop).

Good luck --
    mj

14. steve

steve Well-Known Member

mj. I already have an AMEX Blue and Optima Platinum so I get the return protection and best value guarantee with them, along with good interest rates. The main problem I'm having with getting lots of quick points is that I can only pay my graduate school tuition with Visa / MC since they don't take AMEX or Discover. So far I'm using my Sony Citibank card to do this since I get Sony points for no annual fee. The AMEX Rewards Plus Gold looks good for getting points, but it's just too bad that I can't charge my tuition on it.