Checking account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Jun 28, 2000.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I do not have any sort of bank account- just savings account at credit union through work.
    The reason I don't apply for a checking account is because I had one about seven years ago with a credit card and I did not pay off a $1200 credit card bill. Since then I have gotten two credit cards (secured Cap One and unsecured Orchard Bank) and am trying to rebuild my credit. The debt to the bank is still on my report (due to come off next Spring). What chance have I got of getting a checking account with another bank?

2. Jon

Jon Guest

You should be ok as long as your not in telecheck or chexsystems. After if you are they may open a "probatioary" account. Take one of your credit cards, your DL and SS card into a branch and see what happens.
    Good luck

3. renae

renae Guest

I agree--you should be o.k. Do you know if you are on ChexSystems? If you are and it's due to come off soon, you should be o.k. I'd try the credit union where your savings is first if it's convenient for you. They already know you and credit unions are usually a little more willing to work with you. Good Luck!

4. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I don't really know what you mean by being on Chexsystems. I had a checking account with a big New England bank. Is it likely that they use it/them??

5. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

I cannot imagine you would have any difficulty opening up a checking account in any bank in the United States, with the exception of the bank whose credit card you defaulted with, and even with them the odds are that they would open the account for you and snatch any monies you deposited in it towards the old debt.

For the record CheckSytems and Telecheck are credit reporting agencies who only report negative items dealing with bank accounts (bad checks, unpaid overdrafts, check kiting). CheckSystems holds their information for 5 years, Telecheck for 7.

But neither has any RELEVANCE in this case, especially CheckSystems (almost 7 years minus 5 years is ...) since yours was a CREDIT CARD write-off or collection and DOES NOT get reported to those companies.