Chevron C/L increase w/o inquiry

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by VJ, Jun 8, 2001.

1. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Over 2 years ago, I opened and used a Chevron cc while I was working out of state.I've called in the past and was told they would have to pull a new hard inquiry if I wanted more than my original $300 c/l.,which I always declined.Not a big deal as there are no Chevron stations in my state.
    That will be changing when Texaco and Chevron complete their merger/buyout.All the Texaco stations in my state will then be Chevron/Texaco stations and I'll be able to use my card again.

So...thinking ahead and knowing I spend more than $300/mo
    on gas, I called Chevron yesterday again to see if they could do a increase without the hard inquiry.This time they said if the acct is 12 months old or older they could look at an increase using a soft inquiry with a R-score from equifax(Same as Macy's).Came back with a $800 limit which was acceptable.

VJ

2. brad

brad Well-Known Member

So,what's the question?

3. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Brad

You know Brad, this is the 2nd time that you have come on this board and subjectively attacked another persons comments.

There is no question surrounding the post. The post is for general information geared to those with the Chevron Card.

Evidently you DO NOT carry this card.

So don't attack someone's post, because YOU fail to see the QUESTION or the information surrounding it!!!!

4. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Re: Brad

Reshod,
    Thanks,and your right about it just being a FYI post.The importance of the post was Chevron is another creditor to add to the list that will grant increases w/o pulling hard inquiries.Most people here respected and understood the ramifications of that event.

Brad did not.

VJ

5. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Re: Brad

Thanks for the info--I've had Chevron for years---it was one of our very first cards! I did get a pre approved Texaco about 2 years but when it came to renewing it a couple months ago and there was a $25.00 annual fee I called them and since they refused to remove it--and were pretty rude--I closed my zero balance account. I rarely used the card anyway.
    Chevron however I use all the time--so this tidbit of info that Chevron will be available to use at Texacos and I'm assuming still Shells is very interesting!
    Thanks!
    AnnMarie

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Good Info

Thanks for the info. I have a Chevron Credit Builders card that I got in Oct. w/ a $300 limit. It has proven to be a very valuable card to me. There is a Chevron right across the street from my job w/ a GREAT car wash! They will wash the hell out of your car for $10 (my company get's a 20% discount if I show my badge). The most I've charged on this car is like $150 which at that point Chevron sent me a letter stating to call them immediately! Worried me to death.....I didn't know what was going on. I call and the rep said that they were concerned since I was *dangerously* close to my limit at the time they were doing account reviews! Oh wow....give me a break! :-\

Maybe I'll try this method when my account is 12 months old. I'm really trying to focus on balance to limit ratios and of course an increase would help me out tremendously.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Re: Good Info

Thanks for letting us know about the soft inquiry policy for an increase. That is great to know for those members like MP$40 etc. who have the card.

Not all threads require a question.

On another matter, Chevron is one of those companies that does not grant new credit if you have a BK in your history unless it is over 5 years old. I was told this in January when I was turned down for a card. They even gave me the exact date in 2003 when I am eligible to apply.

I enjoyed the thread since 2003 is not that far off.

8. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Re: Not Too Sure About Shell...

Thanks all.
    AnnMarie bought up a good question I didn't think about regarding the possibility of continued use of the Chevron/Tex card being used after the merger at Shell.

With a little digging I found out more than I want to know.
    Shell and Tex have some large joint venture projects together (specifically Equilon LLC and Motiva LLC) w/Shell being the majority partner in both.

Tex is trying to merge with Chevron but the major holdup is ...
    Drumroll please.. THE FTC.Showing the same amount of Teeth and Resolve that they display going after a CRA with a FDRA violation, they kinda would be happier if, maybe, if its not too much trouble, Tex can sell their joint ownership position before they announce approval.Shell buyout bid price is still about a billion dollars shy of what tex wants.
    Once approved by the FTC they will call a shareholders meeting exactly 60 days from FTC approval and it will be done in 30-60 days after shareholder approval.(15-20% premium)
    Projected timeline for completion about Aug /Sept/Oct 2001.

Without Equilon and Motiva there is little or no incentive for Chev/Tex to have joint use cc's with Shell.
    All IMHO.

VJ