chevron offers credit builder

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by joe, Jul 15, 2000.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

After seeing spyguyjim's post about chevron i called them and applied for a chevron card. my credit has a few chargeoffs and collection items. they offered me a credit card with a $300.00 limit for an annual fee of $30.00. They called it "level 2" whatever that means. I think it is a pretty good deal as otherwise I would not have been able to get a card with them and I really need a gas card. Thanks Spyguyjim for your post!!!!

2. Stormie

Stormie Guest

RE: chevron offers credit buil

Thats neat to know. I bet alot of people will find that information helpful, and will want to contact chevron. You should post the number to call here on the message board. Also do ask for that specific program, or do they consider you for the reuglar card first, then if you don't qualify give you this level 2 account. I really don't know much about gas cards, as I just have Visa's and mastercards, and a few dept stores. And my credit it good. But I do have some people in my family trying hard to rebuild their credit, and they would find a gas card useful. What is the interest rate ?

3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

that is a good idea, But I dont think they have any gas stations in New York which is where I am located.... Mike

4. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

They consider you first for the regular bank credit card, and if you don't qualify, then you get screened for the "credit builder" program. It is a pilot program that started only in late 1999 and they do not advertise it. The interest rate is currently 22.5%.

5. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: try Sunoco in NY

When I was in NY (Niagra Falls) last month I did pick up a application for a Sunoco Card.

I did notice they offer 3 levels of credit the first level is a card with $250.00 Limit on it and a Maximum of $75.00 per day charge limit.

Something tells me that this card should be very easy to get!

6. Crashman26

Crashman26 Guest

I applied to Chevron and received a letter about the credit builder program. I called the number and they offered me "level 3" $200 Credit Line with a $50 annual fee. They said they would send me an aggreement which I am to return with the $50 Non-refunable annual fee. Once they receive the fee and the letter they will issue my cards. They said they report monthly and will even adjust the payment date to suit your needs. $50 is a little pricy for a $200 credit line but its another positive line on my report.

7. TurningCre

TurningCre Guest

I also say thanks! I called and got the same deal! Thanks again. If anyone else is intersted the phone number is 1-800-FREE-APP (1-800-373-3277). Tell them you want to apply for a Chevron Basic card. You apply over-the-phone. If they can't offer you a regular card, the computer flags your account if you meet ceratin requirements. Then you are trasferred to the credit dept. The credit dept offers you a Chevron card within the credit building program. They gave me $300 limit....small but just right( I only use $150 monthly for gas...I'll be paying this balance off every month!!!). The rep told me everyone's app is not flagged (she wouldnt tell me what is the criteria). She said keep the account in good shape and a regular account would eventually offered.

8. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

thanks Michael I will try Sunoco....

9. Michael

Michael Guest

Please post your results when you know them!

10. Stormie

Stormie Guest

I had recieved the information here on the board about chevron, passed the info along to my son, he applied online at their web site, a few days later recieved a letter (counter offer)offering approval for their credit builder account. The inital credit line is $200 with a $50 annual fee. If all payments are made on time the annual fee will be waived and the account converted to their basic card, also then would be eligable for credit line increases. Thanks for posting that info! It's nice to know some companies are willing to help people rebuild their credit histories or start a credit history.