Chevron - What is this????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, May 15, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Anyone care to elaborate on this letter that I received from Chevron today....

Dear MP$40

It is urgent that you telephone our office at once. Call Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST. Please ask for XXXX XXXX at ext. XXXX.

Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXX

Credit Services

Keep in mind that I have my card in my posession, last time I used it was Sunday night for $25, made my payment on the 9th of this month via the internet and the money has been taken from my account already, and I've never paid late and have always stayed way below my limit of $300.

I'm baffled as to WHY they would send me this sort of letter.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY WANT TO SELL CREDIT INSURANCE OR A TRAVEL CLUB!!!!

3. Cadillac408

If that is true, I am going to be extremely HOT!

Why must they put *URGENT* in the letter then???? What's so urgent about credit insurance or travel club????

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST GUESSING

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MY WIFE GETS "URGENT" CALLS ALL THE TIME...JUST WANT TO SELL SOMETHING...

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IT IS POSSIBLE THEY MIGHT BEGIN TO OFFER A "CHEVRON MASTERCARD" LIKE SHELL AND NEED YOUR PERMISSION TO SEND YOU THE CARD...

ON THE OTHER HAND THEY GAVE NO HINTS ON WHAT THEY MIGHT WANT...THAT'S STUPID!!!

7. Cadillac408

The reason why I'm nervous...

Long story short, my girlfriend got her identity stolen. She didn't find out about it until Sears sent her a letter like this. She spoke to someone and they asked her if she was in the Sacramento store and tried to apply for credit, etc. She said no. Apparently someone had used her info to apply for instant credit. They used a different address and when they applied, the response was that she already had an account and they gave the account number to this person and they charged it up. Then a letter went out to the previous address (which was actually her current address) asking her to contact them. She did and this was the result. What I can't understand is why did they let them charge on the account like that? Same thing happened to her at Macy's (and she's works there!).

So I'm just a little nervous...my wallet and stuff did get stolen back in 1/99. Then I was doing a phone number search on the internet for my name and my EXACT name came up in Tenessee! Believe me, my name is uncommon and I find it hard to believe that someone has the exact first and last name as me. So that was puzzling as well.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: The reason why I'm nervous...

IF IT IS "REAL" IMPORTANT LIKE SOMEBODY IS USING YOUR ACCOUNT...THEY HAVE WORK PHONE NUMBER...THEY HAVE HOME PHONE...DID THEY LEAVE A MESSAGE EITHER PLACE???

9. Cadillac408

Chevron Overracted!

I called Chevron this morning and the reason why they sent the URGENT letter was because they monitor Credit Builder accounts and my account was up for review and I was *dangerously* close to my limit (as the rep put it). I don't understand...my limit is $300 and the balance was $150 and I just sent them a $56 dollar payment! Whatever...

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Chevron Overracted!

YAH...WHATEVER.............

I would have asked what they would have said if you had spent $250 or $287.00???

If you can't go above $150...why isn't your credit limit $150???