ChexSystem SOL

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShyGuy, Apr 6, 2001.

1. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

How long do items stay on ChexSystems? Is it seven years like a credit report?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

5 years

3. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Just curious how one gets their ChexSystem report. I recently went to go write a check at bestBuy for around $700 and they denied me and handed me a ChaxSystem paper to call (which I havent had time yet). I dont think I have ever had a bounced check so I am just wondering how this whole thing works and how I get the report.

Thanks,
    Misty

4. Tracy

Tracy Guest

Call the number and they can tell you over the phone or send you a free copy of your report.

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Here is the website:

http://www.chexhelp.com/english/publik/index.htm

Click on "order your report". When you get to the question of
    whether you have been denied in the past 60 days, click yes.

You can either order online or print out the order form and fax/mail
    it in.

Marci

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Bestbuy uses equifax check verifications last time i checked. They will deny you if you write too many checks in a short period, and for high dollar check amounts, they will check your account balance. They will deny if you have an out of state check, or the drivers license # doesnt jive.

7. Austin

Austin Guest

velocity

I used to know someone who worked at Telecheck. They had a term called "velocity" which referred to the number of checks written in a given time frame. It also combined $ amounts depending on the application of the model. For example, the xmas holidays tend to have people out shopping more so Telecheck and the rest will raise their velocity limits so that if you happen to be at the mall (or a big dept store) and write 8 checks for about $60 each within the same day, then that would not raise any flags whereas if you wrote those same checks over the course of 2 or 3 days then the system will either flag your account for further scrutiny or they'll start denying authorization. Note that if they don't authorize the check then the merchant still has the option to take the check but most won't because if it does bounce, then they won't be covered by Telecheck/Equifax/whomever for recovery. That's why the Best Buy near here will take a $400 check from a 4-5 state region without a second thought but they will indeed call if need be for a $70 check from another part of the country.