ChexSystems Dispute, More Info Req.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by amj, Aug 10, 2003.

1. amj

amj New Member

Hello to all.

I am hoping that someone from this Forum can help me with my situation.

*****************************************************************************************
    I had received an inheritance, from a distant relative, and had possession of my inheritance check, and was looking to diversify some funds and use the bank for a holding tank while my husband and I decided what the long term plans were for this money.

A few months ago, I attempted to open a bank account, with hopes of placing some of the money is a CD, with a bank near my home.

I was completely shocked when they refused to open a bank account and then the woman at the Bank treated me like a wanted fugitive. She handed me a piece of paper with ChexSystems information, not any other information, and a very sarcastic, "have a nice day".

Since then my husband and I have opened up a brokerage account, so I have already taken care of one element of this saga.

I did discuss this with my attorney, who advised me to send in the original dispute letter, but at $275 an hour, I am reluctant to spend more money for something I can do myself.

I am willing to have my attorney pursue this if I run into trouble or if I cannot have this deleted. I just hate to spend money if I can avoid it.

I sent in a ChexSystems Dispute Letter Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. ChexSystems sent back a letter to me, dated 4 days after they received my letter saying that they needed more information in order to locate my file.

They are specifically asking for:

A) Any residences in the past 5 years, including PO Boxes

B) Any bank accounts that I may be a signer on,
    even Business Checking Account(s), and asking for any Tax Id Numbers and any relationship to the business(es), if one exists.

C) Other Names Used

D) Date of Birth

E) Drivers License Number and State of Issue

My question is WHY do they need this information?

I wonder if they are going to try to dismiss this as frivolous if I do not send them the info.

However, I feel it is a fishing expedition of sorts. And a big delay tactic.

As of this date, I have not responded.

Background Info:

I have the same name and address for well over 7 years, prior to this I lived in another state of over 5 years.

The account listed under my Social Security Number is for a bank in a state that I have not had any contact with.

As a matter of course, my husband and I did a credit check on ourselves over a year ago and at that time we discovered this bank listed on my credit report then, reporting that I owed money on a closed account.

I called the bank, received many apologies, and then sent in a dispute letter to memorialize my request, and this account was deleted.

I have no Business Checking Accounts, or Tax ID Numbers.

I do not work outside the home and have 5 minor children, two in diapers. My husband handles all the bill paying, but he is completely at a loss on how to help me.

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has regarding this situation.

Thank you.

Amy

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They are specifically asking for:

A) Any residences in the past 5 years, including PO Boxes

B) Any bank accounts that I may be a signer on, even Business Checking Account(s), and asking for any Tax Id Numbers and any relationship to the business(es), if one exists.

C) Other Names Used

D) Date of Birth

E) Drivers License Number and State of Issue

My question is WHY do they need this information?

"IF" you don't send this "STUFF" they can't FIND the information...

THE BANK SHOULD HAVE SOME NAME OR CODES OR SOMETHING...IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO TELL YOU A REASON FOR DENIAL OF THE ACCOUNT...

"IF" it is from a bank that you don't do business...AND NEVER HAVE...they have WRONG information...and it need to be corrected immediately!!!

You could ask (THE BANK THAT PUT IT ON YOUR REPORT BY MISTAKE) for $500 for your PAIN AND SUFFERING...SINCE YOU HAVE TO FIX THEIR MISTAKES THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

After it is FIXED...I would walk into the bank that turned you down with a copy of the "SORRY" letter from CHEXSYSTEMS...AND SHOVE IT IN THEIR FACE!!!

And tell them that the bank down the street is HAPPY TO TAKE MY MONEY...

4. 95207Chick

95207Chick Well-Known Member

Before you disputed this in your letter, did you request a report from them?

https://www.chexhelp.com:447/ChexHelp/chex/english/publik/order.htm

When you ask for a report online, they ask for all of that information to "match" you to your report.

I would think obtaining that report would be important to finding out the problem.

I have requested a couple reports from them and they are FREE as long as you meet the criteria.

I also have discovered that they don't help much with disputes, as their bank members are always the ones that they back up rather than you as a consumer.

Good Luck!

5. amj

amj New Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was wondering if I could get a faxed letter from the Original Bank that shows it was their error and then Fax/Mail that letter to ChexSystems, would that help.

(Providing that they still have any records.)

Seeing how ChexSystems is the database that is supposed to have all these identifiers, it still makes me wonder why they asked for all the extra information.

It seems that they should be able to match me up to the file they have on me by Name/SSN.

Thanks for your replies,

Amy

6. cristna

cristna New Member

hi.
    you might be amazed by what they tell you. i had a similar experience upon moving to the state of CA. a check was refused at a supermarket and i had no idea why. after many phone calls it was revealed that someone was using my driver's license number to open checking accounts and write bad checks across the state. hundreds of bounced checks at sam's clubs! i had NEVER lost my license (and still have never been in a sam's club). the DMV gave me a very hard time about getting a new number but when they did their computers incated that all information about my current license had been erased. it only showed that i turned in my NJ license and had to take the CA test.

my adivce would be to follow through with this. some one might have made up a fictious account using some of your personal info.!
    good luck!

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I also have discovered that they don't help much with disputes, as their bank members are always the ones that they back up rather than you as a consumer.
    ...so like a CRA (THAT WORKS FOR THE CREDIT CARD/LOAN COMPANIES)...CHEXSYSTEMS works for businesses and banks BUT NOT YOU!!!

8. 95207Chick

95207Chick Well-Known Member

So right, George!!

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

"IF" you don't send this "STUFF" they can't FIND the information...
    RODNEY DANGERFIELD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And if she sends it to them they can add it to what they have reported to prove she is guilty as charged.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*My question is WHY do they need this information?
    2*However, I feel it is a fishing expedition of sorts. And a big delay tactic.
    amj
    ==================
    1*To hang you with it.
    2*They want this so that they can hang the listing they have about you on you.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''