ChexSystems-Foiled Again!@*

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tessmcgill, Nov 8, 2001.

1. tessmcgill

tessmcgill Well-Known Member

I'm try to clear old items on my Chex Systems files. I had a remaining balance of $14.85 with a credit union in 1994 due to service fees. I forgot about it and the credit union closed the account. However, they did not report the closed account to ChexSystems until 1997. Is this legal? Therefore, ChexSystems did not start their infamous five year clock until March of 1997. Because of it - I have to wait until March of 2002 to open a local bank account.

2. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I would like to know how one can see if they have a ChexSystem record? Is there a report you can view online or order?

Thanks in advance..

DB

3. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Tec hnically, 1997 would have been the first date it was reported and thus the only date ChexSytems would know to start counting from.

Suggestion: Try paying the debt immediately (if you haven't already), then disputing it with CS.

You might even plead your case to the credit union telling them you'd forgotten, yada, yada, so they'll be disinclined to reply to the dispute. (Feel out the waters first).

P.S. You can request the report online from ChexSystems, but they'll mail it to you. Takes about a week.

4. tessmcgill

I tried to open a bank account. Wells Fargo would not open it and directed me to Chex Systems.

I called the morons at Chex (they act like they didn't pass their 5th grade equivalency exam), and requested a copy of my report.

Instead of sending a copy of my report as the law allows, they sent a collection notice for the old credit union account! I had to call 3 times before they finally sent a report for what they had listed under my social security number. Which didn't arrive until three weeks later.

5. tessmcgill

I contacted the credit union. They said since it is so old and not in their new computer system - they couldn't accept payment. I asked them how they could have verified the amount and reported it. The clerk said they keep a printout of all charged off accounts that are reported with the individual's name and ssn. She said they report accounts to Chex after audits are done on an annual basis.
    More morons!

6. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Could you get to a supervisor and plead your case this way:

Ask them to at least post the charge-off date as the original one in 1994. NOT the 1997 date when they reported it. (Surely it didn't take them 3 years to charge it off!)

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Can or are checks that were not written or drawn on my checking account be reported to ChexSystems and show up on my report with them????????????

8. lbrown59

bump

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

What you are all seemingly forgetting about is the fact that chexsystems is a credit reporting agency and are to be handled in exactly the same way and under exactly the same FDCPA and FCRA or other laws as any other CRA.

You simply run them down the dusty trail and up the mountain and drop them off into the deep waters below. Of course, it is only after having bound them hand and foot and put a nice rope around their neck with the other end tied to an overhanging tree branch.

In otherwords, make them validate and if they fail, hang them out to dry.
    Simple.
    They are no different than any other CRA.

10. lbrown59

Don't know. Anyone else care to take a stab at it ?

11. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

I had an automatic withdrawal for insurance on an account I closed, the bank paid it and then reported to Chex systems.

I found out two years latter when I went to open a new account and was refused.

I went back to the original bank, it took them two days to figure out what happened. Paid the draft and the fees and they removed the entry.

Chex system is a real pain to deal with.

12. lbrown59

This is why I don't use Auto. Wd. If it hain't written on a blank check it don't come out of my checking account!

13. lbrown59

Is it legal to report such checks to chex systems and is it legal for ChexSystem to place them on my file?

14. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

15. lbrown59

Bump

16. Jeff

Jeff Guest

I do not understand your question. Could you give us an example?

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I think this it the deal...if a "check" from a credit card account "BOUNCED" because the credit card company was "CLUELESS"...can it be reported to CHEXSYSTEMS???

I had that happen to me...I hope it didn't get reported since the bank messed up!!!
    I SAVED THE LETTER STATING IT WAS 100% THEIR FAULT...

18. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Thank you George. That makes sense.

19. lbrown59

what I want to know is ,is it legal to report checks that I didn't write to ChexSystems ?
    Am I responsable for any checking account other than my own?
    The phone company received 5 rubber checks that I did not issue to them.
    How likely is it that these 5 checks appear on my file at ChexSystems?If they are there is it legal?

20. lbrown59

Bump