chicago area > does anyone

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mil, Feb 3, 2001.

1. mil

mil Guest

small claim court > I would like to bring collection agency in the cout this collection compancy is part of capitol one (west moreland agency) this account is not belong to me which I'm going to dispute soon but I dont understant this when i call them they told me they cannot discuss with me over the phone since they dont have license to collect debit in Illinois ? but they are trying to collect the debt by putting in my report . any help

2. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

RE: chicago area > does any

My daughter got a collection letter from this agency recently. They were trying to collect for a debt from an Associates Shell Oil credit account, which my daughter has never had. She wrote them a letter a couple months ago, disputing the debt; however, they have not responded. They also will not discuss the matter with her by phone. Instead, she received an offer for a Capital One credit card which would come to her with the debt they were trying to collect charged to it. I told her I'd knock her cold if she even thought about accepting it.

This is one weird case! In their initial collection letter, Westmoreland stated that they were fully owned by Capital One, and they assured her that if she were a current Capital One customer, her accounts would not be affected. I can't help but find all this fishy. We've been keeping close check on her credit reports to make sure none of the information on this bogus collection account has been reported. So far, so good.

3. mil

mil Guest

but they already reported on my report .....not sure what to do I'm very close to purchase house now this pop on my report I'm very frustrated dont know what to do ? I was thinking about small claim court

4. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Before you do that, check with your state's Attorney General's office to see just how this company has violated the collections laws. The AG's office probably has a website, and reporting the action to that office might just do the trick.

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Doris K. wrote:
    -------------------------------
    My daughter got a collection letter from this agency recently. They were trying to collect for a debt from an Associates Shell Oil credit account, which my daughter has never had. She wrote them a letter a couple months ago, disputing the debt; however, they have not responded. They also will not discuss the matter with her by phone. Instead, she received an offer for a Capital One credit card which would come to her with the debt they were trying to collect charged to it. I told her I'd knock her cold if she even thought about accepting it.

In their initial collection letter, Westmoreland stated that they were fully owned by Capital One, and they assured her that if she were a current Capital One customer, her accounts would not be affected. I can't help but find all this fishy. We've been keeping close check on her credit reports to make sure none of the information on this bogus collection account has been reported. So far, so good.
    `````````````````````````````````````````````This is one weird case! you mean weird spelled like SCAM?